• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Single piece driveshaft swap 1994 Supercab ranger question.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Hello All,

I have 94 4x4 Supercab 4.0l OHV ranger and have acquired the appropriate single piece driveline from a 4x4 98+ Supercab. I have reviewed the tech articles regarding this swap. However I have identified some conflicting information/opinions regarding the removal or modification of the crossmember that supports the carrier bearing. One recommends not removing this crossmember, as it is required for structural support. The other states this cross members only purpose is to support the carrier bearing and its total removal is a non issue.

I would like to hear others opinions or experience with this. My initial thoughts would be to remove it entirely to avoid any possible damage to the one piece drive line during suspension articulation. But, if it is a critical structural component this may be a bad idea.
Thanks!

Last edited:

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
any cross member will offer structural support. is it required? ehhhh not really. will it be in the way? 100% yes

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I would try to compare your truck to ones that have a solid driveshaft and see if the cross member is there on them or not. If it is, it’s probably needed. If it isn’t, then you can remove it.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
realistically, for every day driving, or mild offroad use you dont need it. a perpendicular cross member doesnt do much to fight lateral or twisting forces in a frame. youre frame rails arent going to pull apart side ways or anything. why are you putting a one piece drive line in it anyways?

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
realistically, for every day driving, or mild offroad use you dont need it. a perpendicular cross member doesnt do much to fight lateral or twisting forces in a frame. youre frame rails arent going to pull apart side ways or anything. why are you putting a one piece drive line in it anyways?
I’m going to be installing a 4 inch lift in the near future. The two piece drive line doesn’t lend it self to lifting, due to the non factory angles. Correcting the angles by modifying the carrier bearing location seem to be difficult/crappy at best. The one piece driveline swap seems to be the way to go.

I should be finished with the swap today, I’m about to find out first hand :D. Hopefully it works out.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
interesting
non factory angles will still be there with a 1 piece drive line. the only issue i see arising is drive line vibration due to mismatched pinion to output shaft angles. the angles will be off no matter how many driveshafts you have. leaf spring perch wedges fix this issue.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
interesting
non factory angles will still be there with a 1 piece drive line. the only issue i see arising is drive line vibration due to mismatched pinion to output shaft angles. the angles will be off no matter how many driveshafts you have. leaf spring perch wedges fix this issue.
The angle of the driveshaft doesn't change at the same rate when the driveshaft is 2-3x longer.

However the 2 piece driveshaft is less likely to be harmed offroading because it doesn't hang down as much.

I quickly drew up something using no real numbers to kinda show it, if you extend the rear "driveshaft" to be as long as the other one the change is easier to actually see (second pic)

Attachments

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the angle of the drive shaft isnt what causes driveline vibration

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the angle of the drive shaft isnt what causes driveline vibration
If the t-case is at 5* and the diff is at 5* with a one piece, you have to get really wild on the lift for the driveline angle to matter.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If the t-case is at 5* and the diff is at 5* with a one piece, you have to get really wild on the lift for the driveline angle to matter.
right but hes only doin 4" so thats why im asking why bother with the swap. i get 27" of rear suspension travel with a 2 piece

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I’m not certain if the swap was necessary for this truck and my planned lift. I was mostly working off of some anecdotal stories I have heard from a few other ranger guys regarding lifts and the old style two piece drive lines. Which were confirmed, in my mind, by some of the technical articles on this site.

I would imagine doing new lifted leaf springs or blocks in the back would increase the working angle of the middle ujoint within the two piece drive line, causing additional stressing and or vibrations.

Perhaps I have done a lot of grinding and cussing for nothing.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I have completed the single piece drive line swap and went for a little test drive this evening. Everything seems real sound, less vibration that my previous two piece with a smoked carrier bearing. On to the new rear end installation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals