• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Simple things you hate doing?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've helped the same friend move 5 times now. I told him if he moves again we are no longer friends...
Maybe you should just be roomates

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate fixing things. You roof your house, 20 years whips by and the roof is old and shingles are landing in the back yard.

These giant Samsung front loader washer and dryer. The biggest-6 cubic feet I think. Stacked, they touch the ceiling. I glued a mirror to the ceiling so we could see to change the settings, using a stick. I paid $3,000 or so for the pair. Now it's apart, in a million pieces across the dining room while I wait for parts. I dried clothes on a clothesline, like back when I was a poor kid.

I like building things. I hate fixing things.

My driveway washed out. I had a new pipe installed after the postal driver complained. The new pipe washed out. My track loader is busted. Two bogies broke off out near the pond. I've been struggling laying in poison ivy for the last 2 days trying to get the track back on. I can't drag it onto the trailer and tow it back so I can work on it where it's convenient. And I'm not who I was 20 years ago when I could throw around a 200 or 300# part.

If you do something, it should just stay done. But it doesn't. That's what I hate.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I hate fixing things. You roof your house, 20 years whips by and the roof is old and shingles are landing in the back yard.

These giant Samsung front loader washer and dryer. The biggest-6 cubic feet I think. Stacked, they touch the ceiling. I glued a mirror to the ceiling so we could see to change the settings, using a stick. I paid $3,000 or so for the pair. Now it's apart, in a million pieces across the dining room while I wait for parts. I dried clothes on a clothesline, like back when I was a poor kid.

I like building things. I hate fixing things.

My driveway washed out. I had a new pipe installed after the postal driver complained. The new pipe washed out. My track loader is busted. Two bogies broke off out near the pond. I've been struggling laying in poison ivy for the last 2 days trying to get the track back on. I can't drag it onto the trailer and tow it back so I can work on it where it's convenient. And I'm not who I was 20 years ago when I could throw around a 200 or 300# part.

If you do something, it should just stay done. But it doesn't. That's what I hate.
Not a fan of entropy I take it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Doing things that deem no result.

The parking brake dash light goes on and off in my F150. Logic and research says its the brake fluid level sensor. I checked the brakes, the fluid level, and changed the sensor. Parking brake dash light is still on.

I wasn't driving my ranger to work because the cam synchro was bad. When covid hit I had time to change the cam synchro, it worked fine for about 500 miles, until now that work started up again. Now CEL is on again same code 214...back to square one, still cant drive my ranger to work due to CEL light and bad cam syncro....

Weasel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Automatic
Standing up.

Whenever I stand up, the body figures it's time to pee.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Drum brakes
We said simple things.

Every time I do drum brakes I start spouting a string of profanity wrapped around the phrase "Seven handed French monkey".

If offered the chance to go back in time and kill anyone I wanted to change the course of history I would leave baby Hitler alone and go after Louis Renault, inventor of the modern drum brake.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
We said simple things.

Every time I do drum brakes I start spouting a string of profanity wrapped around the phrase "Seven handed French monkey".

If offered the chance to go back in time and kill anyone I wanted to change the course of history I would leave baby Hitler alone and go after Louis Renault, inventor of the modern drum brake.

You can always tell the difference between a modern mechanic and an old school mechanic by their opinion on drum brakes. :icon_rofl:

I think I can actually do drum brakes faster than discs, provided the drum actually comes off...

Don't get me wrong, I honestly have no clue why these things ever made it passed the 60s. It can't even be cheaper for a manufacturer to use drum brakes over discs these days so why in God's name do they still exist!?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

The parking brake dash light goes on and off in my F150. Logic and research says its the brake fluid level sensor. I checked the brakes, the fluid level, and changed the sensor. Parking brake dash light is still on.
It has a pedal operated parking brake, right? There's a plunger above the pedal arm. When you step on the pedal and push it down, the plunger comes out and turns on the brake light. I'll bet dimes to dollars that's the problem causing your brake light to come on.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Today I want to say. Putting on lug nuts...

Took 4 hours to put on two wheels. Put new hubs on a 350 and the old lug nuts wouldn't fit, they were those stupid spline drive nuts anyway so I figured maybe some idiot put different studs on at some point to use these dumbass fancy lug nuts. Long story short turns out the hubs for some reason had the wrong thread on them (china garbage). The wheels still needed deep drive mag style nuts to work with the rims so I spent the next 4 hours tracking down 16 matching lug nuts in 14x2.0. They should be 14x1.5...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Today I want to say. Putting on lug nuts...

Took 4 hours to put on two wheels. Put new hubs on a 350 and the old lug nuts wouldn't fit, they were those stupid spline drive nuts anyway so I figured maybe some idiot put different studs on at some point to use these dumbass fancy lug nuts. Long story short turns out the hubs for some reason had the wrong thread on them (china garbage). The wheels still needed deep drive mag style nuts to work with the rims so I spent the next 4 hours tracking down 16 matching lug nuts in 14x2.0. They should be 14x1.5...
What year? 2 or 4wd? Single or dual rear wheel?

The single and the dual use different thread depending on if they’re studs for the lug nuts or studs for the dually extension.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
06 4x4 single wheel. Everything I look at calls for 14x1.5, 14x2.0 was pre 2003. :dunno:

Doesn't really matter, it's done and I'm not changing the studs or hubs lol. It'll just have 2 different thread size lug nuts. The physical wrench size is the same (I did change all 32) just has 2.0 in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

What year F-150? The 04 body style had issues with the cluster itself that would turn the light on and leave it on even though the fluid level was correct and the parking brake wasn't set.

You can always tell the difference between a modern mechanic and an old school mechanic by their opinion on drum brakes. :icon_rofl:

I think I can actually do drum brakes faster than discs, provided the drum actually comes off...

Don't get me wrong, I honestly have no clue why these things ever made it passed the 60s. It can't even be cheaper for a manufacturer to use drum brakes over discs these days so why in God's name do they still exist!?
With the right spring tool and the knowledge of how to use it correctly they aren't terrible. I just wish someone could figure out a better system for the parking cable attachment and retaining the shoes to the backer. I have more trouble with those stupid pin and spring washer setups than any other part of the job because the pin wants to turn with the washer.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
@adsm08

Its a 2008, 5.4l 2wd ...I brought it brand new and it now has 127k miles on it.

the brake light is intermittent.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have a drum brake tool kit that makes the job very much easier. A pair of mini long nose vice grips is also handy

Drum brakes is one thing I don't mind doing. Maybe because it doesn't happen often.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals