• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Simple things you hate doing?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Chasing electrical issues is pretty much the main thing I do at work. The nice part is that we have 10 or way more of each truck. Once I find an issue on 1 truck, I call each of its sisters in one at a time and check them all out. I usually find that 75% of them are already starting to fail the same way... (usually a chaffed wire that started turning green from the salt... damn plow trucks.)

I smoke wires on purpose. When there’s a green wire (see above for explanation) and you don’t feel like cutting the whole harness open to find it... disconnect both ends, ground one end, send power to the other. It burns the bad connection out then you trace the harness with the power probe short finder. Quickest way to find the problem.
I have a way quicker method. Curse at it, blame Obama, take a nap.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I smoke wires on purpose. When there’s a green wire (see above for explanation) and you don’t feel like cutting the whole harness open to find it... disconnect both ends, ground one end, send power to the other. It burns the bad connection out then you trace the harness with the power probe short finder. Quickest way to find the problem.
I had a 94 E150 conversion that kept blowin fuses and id lose my radio and IIRC interior lights.

I figured it was behind the dash so i pulled it apart couldnt find anything....but the fuse kept randomly blowing.

IIRC it was a 15amp circuit, i said F it and shoved a 25 amp in it. The door started smoking and i found the problem. Why ford put the power mirrors on that circuit ill never know...but it was a bad mirror switch

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I had a 94 E150 conversion that kept blowin fuses and id lose my radio and IIRC interior lights.

I figured it was behind the dash so i pulled it apart couldnt find anything....but the fuse kept randomly blowing.

IIRC it was a 15amp circuit, i said F it and shoved a 25 amp in it. The door started smoking and i found the problem. Why ford put the power mirrors on that circuit ill never know...but it was a bad mirror switch
See... you let the smoke out, found where it escaped, repaired it, refilled it with fresh smoke, and went on your merry way.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I hate projects that snowball into more time & money, case in point- last year I put on new steering linkage, front rotors, wheel bearings and brake pads, calipers were working fine, drove it over a year, no problems. A week ago I did the “washer lift mod” and as part of it , I removed the calipers from the knuckles so the axle could drop farther and I would be able to add washers between the I-beam . Well the washer mod went well, but now the truck pulls hard to the right, you could almost go around a corner by stepping on the brakes alone. Took a drive yesterday and when I got home checked temperatures at each wheel, left front wasn’t nearly as warm as the right one. And I know the flex lines are original so in addition to new calipers (yep, may as well do both), new flex lines, I will most likely end up making new hard lines for the whole front end , from master cyl to the flex lines. So I’ll need more line nuts too, I think I have enough hard line, but I’ll need to unroll it and be sure. All this cause I wanted to try to lift the front end a little. And Im still considering 2” lift coils, that 3/4” washer stack helped, but it could use some more help.
Many of my projects wind up like that. I kind of figure it's part of the "you play you pay program". Hell, I started renovating and beefing up my utility trailer about 4 or 5 years ago and the project is still going. It has been a very invasive renovation and I haven't even gotten to the suspension yet. I can see why off road trailers half the size of mine are so damn expensive now.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Honestly I'd rather chase electrical gremlins sometimes than oil leaks... pretty much everything I have leaks oil except the '97 Ranger for most likely the reason that everything else has 100k more miles on it...

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My wife wanted a ecosport because they are cheap and she thought they were cute. We sat in one and I told her if we ever got in a wreck they wouldn’t need the jaws of life to get me out, I would just go hulk hogan on it and rip that cardboard thing off like a t-shirt.
I'm not sure I'd agree that they're cute, but I do think the look would grow on me. I like them because they're practical, and small(ish).

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I guess me and you look for different things in a DD.
Yep. I look at practicality, reliability, fuel economy, ride comfort, and handling. It just so happens that the Ecosport (or an Escape) gives me all five.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t know about the rest of you, but the average property taxes in my area is just shy of $10k a year.
Here, in the town I live in, average property tax is in around $1500 to $2000. In the city, it's around $2500. That's per year, in case you were wondering. No, it's not per month.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yep. I look at practicality, reliability, fuel economy, ride comfort, and handling. It just so happens that the Ecosport (or an Escape) gives me all five.
I like simple durabilty, cheapness, and enjoyment factor. Im guessing youve never been down a michigan dirt road in march....if you had you'd understand why i stick to I beam fords.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same... that is why we passed.

I am not that much taller than "average" but I just didn't fit in one.

For what it is worth with the seat all the way back in my wife's Edge (which she had before we met) my right knee is constantly resting on the dash. That drives me nuts too.

I like simple durabilty, cheapness, and enjoyment factor. Im guessing youve never been down a michigan dirt road in march....if you had you'd understand why i stick to I beam fords.
My wife's Edge drags its belly thru the ruts daily when the frost goes out in the spring, it is still doing ok approaching 250k miles.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Same... that is why we passed.

I am not that much taller than "average" but I just didn't fit in one.

For what it is worth with the seat all the way back in my wife's Edge (which she had before we met) my right knee is constantly resting on the dash. That drives me nuts too.

My wife's Edge drags its belly thru the ruts daily when the frost goes out in the spring, it is still doing ok approaching 250k miles.
The way i drive i cant keep anything else in alingnment.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The way i drive i cant keep anything else in alingnment.
I rebuilt the front of my F-150 and had the alignment checked before I put new tires on it the last time. Hasn't been aligned since I have had it, after 15 years and 185k miles of me driving it the toe was half a degree out of spec.

Most boring $120 expenditure ever.

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I dislike auto electrical work as well, specifically the design of wire connectors. Each one seems to have a different interlock design. The worse being the type you have to hold one side in each hand, then use your third hand to release a binding loop of plastic.

Especially when you're on your back, both hands awkwardly crammed into a tight space, with limited or no visibility.

Why can't they use a single, universal, "grab one end, push button, pull other end" type of connector?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I rebuilt the front of my F-150 and had the alignment checked before I put new tires on it the last time. Hasn't been aligned since I have had it, after 15 years and 185k miles of me driving it the toe was half a degree out of spec.

Most boring $120 expenditure ever.
I had 2 expeditions and neither would stay in align. Lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals