• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Side facing jump seat question (reposition)

adv5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 99 ford ranger extended cab with 2 jump seats that face each other. I'd like to convert these to front facing. Has anyone done this or thought about doing it? How would I go about this?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why would you do this? There is no room back there to begin with. Anyone sitting in a front facing jump seat would have practically no room for their legs at all.

Anyone who could actually fit back there should actually be in a child seat...

Just sayin'.

adv5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
While this is probably possible by doing a little fabrication on the mounting brackets to rotate them 90 degrees, I don't think the outcome would be all that great. There isn't enough leg room if you were to do this. I had a '97 Supercab that I made a subbox/bench seat for with the intention of the passengers facing forward, all of them just ended up sitting sideways on it because there wasn't enough room.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ranger's aren't kid friendly dude. If you have to be transporting kids regularly, I'd look for a different vehicle. Something with a real back seat.

I mean, even if you did by some miracle manage to fab that up to work passably, those jump seats aren't designed for having child seats on them, there are no provisions to properly secure the child seats, and it just isn't safe.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with ADSM... How could you even fit a car seat in between the back of the seat and the backrest on the jump seat? Aren't car seats a good, oh, two feet long or so? I can't even stack a 14" long ammo can front-to-back behind my passenger seat, there is literally no room in the back. All its good for is putting bags of crap.

adv5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with ADSM... How could you even fit a car seat in between the back of the seat and the backrest on the jump seat? Aren't car seats a good, oh, two feet long or so? I can't even stack a 14" long ammo can front-to-back behind my passenger seat, there is literally no room in the back. All its good for is putting bags of crap.
car seats are really nowhere close to being 3 feet long. they're about a foot and a half at most. the base(where it meets the seat) is less than a foot.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
My cats won't ride in those darn jump seats....I hate them. I took mine out when I bought the truck new in July of 99. Thee months ago I had to clean out the garage again and I had them boxed up taking up space, so I went ahead and bolted them back in. But they are just not good for much!!!

I don't know of any way to change their position. I do not know anybody who has done that either...best not to for a safety reason.

Arjumand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bmw
Make / Model
bmw
Transmission
Manual
Ok good got the settings right!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Agree with Adsm. There is no way to easily and safely convert those seats to accept a child seat. On my 97 I turn off the passenger side airbag and put the child seat in the front when I need to haul my 4 year old around. If we need a truck and to haul the wife and / or my 15 year old son at the same time we take two vehicles or find a way to get whatever cargo that needed the truck in the first place to fit into the Charger.

AJ

sent from a galaxy near me

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You could mount them in the bed to toughen the kid up for the real word...probably start a new Extreme Parenting rage if you posted a video in YouTube in the process! Maybe wait until you have more children so you don,t have one tougher than the others in the event that you are arrested for child abuse...thosee nanny ninnies are everywhere these days...

My Dad solved the seating problem by installing roof racks. Some parents used those closed containers and they helped delay the arrest date for a long time...until some of the kids got too big and they tried riding with the lid loose...it was OK until they hit highway speeds and the lid blew off...would have been fine if the lid didn't smash into the car behind them...

Always fasten those lids tight...no matter how much they whine...

Mike Tonon

My dad had a 1987 Ranger regular cab, that he bought new when I was about 1 year old. He drove it home with my 8 year old cousin in the passenger seat and I either sat on his lap or was belted in on that little middle seat those 60/40 buckets had. It was usually my dad driving, my mom on the passenger side and me either sitting on the floor on the passenger side or on the middle seat. Then my sister came along in 1989 and things got tight, lol. But we did all squeeze into that truck in the late 90's, all 4 of us, because that was the only working vehicle we had that day, for some reason... Ah! The good ol' days.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually you would not need to rework the side facing seats. I put a cargo box in the back of my 94, had to build a step for the front side to level the box as it sat on the rear ledge. You could basically do the same by building a 3/4 inch plywood platdorm. Secure it to the rear mounts of the front seat(s) probably have to secure to the rear of the cab. Mount the child seat(s) that will be pretty permanent make a chair retainer up by the back window if that is required. Carpet with some sort and go from there. Just an idea.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Sell the kids and buy a new truck, problem solved..:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals