• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shran's '86 Build

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Nice project....:)

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Damn the cold weather. It really puts a damper on my projects. I haven't got a whole lot done lately, just been gathering parts for swapping in a 302/NP435/205, with an EB D44 and a 31 spline 8.8.

Before you read further...DO NOT tell me I'm a retard for spending $1700 on a TTB lift and then going solid axle 9 months later :thefinger:

Anyway, first off I did some trimming because my new shoes were rubbing bad.

Rocked this for a while without inner fender liners, and packed my engine with snow. To the point that my engine fan stopped. 'Nuff of that crap, got my old liners cut and put in:

Then I started gathering parts for my drivetrain and axle swaps. First off, 8.8 parts: (check)

8.8 - check. disk brakes!

NP435, check

205, check

coil buckets, check

tranny crossmember stuff and track bar bracket, check. may end up not using the track bar bracket.

Also my buddy hooked me up with a cool air tank that I may use for onboard air when I get that far.

And finally my shop... do not laugh! I know it's a garden shed :D

So as of now I am one damn u-joint away from my 8.8. Found out that they do not make 1210 to 1310 adapters. Damn. Guess it'll wait till I do my drivetrain swap since I will have to have a new driveline made anyway.

Last edited:

xtremeRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice build! i like how its turning out. Can you get some pictures of your flat bed? i like the idea. simple and plain. Got a write up on it? Selling that skyjacker lift? if your going solid axle?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thanks! I have another thread for the flatbed...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13744&highlight=new+flatbed

Doesn't show the completed version, but gives somewhat of an idea

I will probably be selling just about everything once it gets to that point. Really the only parts of the truck I will be using are the body, frame, and leaf springs. Axles, drivetrain, lift, etc are all going away and I don't intend on ever doing another TTB lift.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My latest update is my spare tire carrier that I just finished.

In addition, I got the NP435 cleaned up and painted, and am working on cleaning the 205 right now. I also will be putting the 8.8 in this weekend, and I picked up my EB D44 and 302 a couple weekends ago and am working on cleaning them. Now I just gotta order a shit ton of small parts to make everything work.

Last edited:

fordxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/1992
Make / Model
Fo Mo Co
Engine Size
2.9L....for now/4.0L
Transmission
Manual
haha I have that same outside storage bin for a toolbox in my truck too. I wouldn't be too embarrassed to have a garden shed for a garage, I have the bed of my truck. dad won't lend me an inch of garage space or even let me organize it so I can make more room.

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
And finally my shop... do not laugh! I know it's a garden shed :D

Looks like a bonefied garage to me!!:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

As long as you have a bench, lights, outlet(s), and air, what more could you need?(besides room to park the truck in):D

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good Shran! Computer in the shed? Pretty high tech stuff. When I got my new BII in '84' I was going out there to check out the trails but company relocated, got busy just working for a living. Sure like to make it out there sometimes soon, still have the family farm down out of Edgemont (100 years now). Pretty country (not in Edgemont).
Dave

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Looks like a bonefied garage to me!!:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

As long as you have a bench, lights, outlet(s), and air, what more could you need?(besides room to park the truck in):D
Yep! I would like to be able to wheel a motor in on an engine stand too, but what do you do...looks like I will be renting a shop with a buddy starting this month so I will have a place to do everything, finally.

Mac said:
Looks good Shran! Computer in the shed? Pretty high tech stuff. When I got my new BII in '84' I was going out there to check out the trails but company relocated, got busy just working for a living. Sure like to make it out there sometimes soon, still have the family farm down out of Edgemont (100 years now). Pretty country (not in Edgemont).
Dave
The computer was intended to be used for looking at service manuals, ordering parts, etc but I really haven't used it a whole lot. Cool to have though :D

We do have some awesome trails around here. I grew up in Hot Springs and have explored all over out there...out in the Dewey area north of Edgemont is one of my favorites.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Dewey cut-off, I was born in Hot Springs and then there is Evans Plunge. Like I said got to get out there sometime soon.
Dave

MudSlutII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should bob the bed

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Got my 8.8 in finally...I love it. My driveline angle is fixed, it doesn't shake when pulling away from a dead stop, and the limited slip is working well. I had it in some muddy spots that I can idle through now, before I would have had to use more throttle. Disc brakes are kick ass too.

Tech article is here..it outlines cost and what's necessary for the swap.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46418

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks awesome!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals