• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I upgrade to a cold air intake?

fddriver02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anything that causes turbulence across the MAF sensor will screw up the measurement! A supercharger, or turbocharger goes behind the MAF sensor, NOT in front of it!!
Wrong. A popular swap for the 1st and 2nd gen Eclipse/Laser/Talon is a GM MAF with a translator. It is usually installed in the charge pipe after the intercooler and it works just fine. Granted if it was mounted too close to the boost source or too close to the intake manifold then it may cause problems

Also if Ram Air intakes cause a problem with MAF sensors than every car that came with Ram Air from the factory would not run properly.

Last edited:

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Granted I have a 4.0L that uses a lot more air, but when I installed just a filter on the end of the MAF using a plumbing adapter flange I noticed quite a difference (for the better) in throttle response and in addition to a free'r flowing exhaust noticed a mileage increase as well.

I used the top left adapter shown in the link and hooked it straight to the MAF on mine with the filter mounted on the 3" flange.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/airintake.htm

i did the same thing and had good results
i was getting 35mpg on the interstate i also had 255\70\15 tires so that helps a little

i used a 91 honda civic cai with mine and nothing but good came form mine

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
i did the same thing and had good results
i was getting 35mpg on the interstate i also had 255\70\15 tires so that helps a little

i used a 91 honda civic cai with mine and nothing but good came form mine
:bsflag:

You were getting 35mpg in a Ranger?

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah crusing around 60 to 65

but i think it had like 3.08 gears in it

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You're a trip.

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
look i dont know what is was but i maxed out on the interstate before and got 35mpg now the road i was on is allmost compleatly flat and straight
so it was just 100 miles of 60 mph

campbelljd

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 ranger with a 2.3L. I was told that it came from the factory with a cold air intake, is this true? If not do u have any suggestions for a cheap, but good quality cold air intake i could upgrade to? Or where i might be able to find it? thanks for the help.
My 97 has got no power at lower speeds, seems to really struggle to get going, I keep it in pretty good shape with regular oil changes, etc. I recently added the K&N CAI system, and I really don't care what the scientists say it was more responsive than the stock, but not quite what I was looking for, so silly me added the Pulse Star spark plugs, together it made a noticable differance, but I wouldn't bet my pink slip on it. Anymore tinkering would probably be much more costly that it just would not be worth it. I'm sticking with what I have, runs better then it did, but short of pulling out the engine and replacing with a V6, I guess I'll just chug along in this DC traffic and continue to let everyone cut in front of me.....

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
My 97 has got no power at lower speeds, seems to really struggle to get going, I keep it in pretty good shape with regular oil changes, etc. I recently added the K&N CAI system, and I really don't care what the scientists say it was more responsive than the stock, but not quite what I was looking for, so silly me added the Pulse Star spark plugs, together it made a noticable differance, but I wouldn't bet my pink slip on it. Anymore tinkering would probably be much more costly that it just would not be worth it. I'm sticking with what I have, runs better then it did, but short of pulling out the engine and replacing with a V6, I guess I'll just chug along in this DC traffic and continue to let everyone cut in front of me.....
lol

mongo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual

thats the one i had

its a 91 honda civic intake tube with a mas adapter i built and a cone filter

didnt notice anything but its looks a littler better and it made a cool sound when you floored it and a slight notice in fuel eficence

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals