• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I upgrade front end and rear shocks?

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Happy Independence Day and thank you to all the veterans!!!
As you guys know I am fixing my work truck. I own a handyman business and use my Ranger for it. I will soon have a crossover tool box in the bed,I frequently haul a lil 5x8 metal trailer with a riding lawn mower and of course load the bed and trailer with things like trees,brush,trash,ECT. Do you feel when I rebuild the front end and do the rear shocks I should pay the extra and upgrade to the heavier duty? What would the pros and cons be? All thoughts welcome. Thanx fellow Ranger enthusiasts!!!

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
It wouldn't hurt. I'd suggest bilstien 4600s, should be about 300$ for all four. 300$ IS considerably more than a lot of shocks.. BUT considering what they do and how long a set lasts it really shouldn't be that big of a pill to swallow.

Another thing to consider is your leaf-packs and their rating. It may be worth upgrading to a stiffer set, or adding some sort of overload setup, depending how much weight you haul and how frequently you haul it.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree the Bilstein shocks are the way to go.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
stiffer shocks would provide a better ride loaded, but probably more of a harsh ride when empty. Lighter/ stock shocks will ride better empty and end up with a sloppy ride loaded.

If you plan on going around will a bed full of stuff all the time I would install the payload2 package stuff, heavier springs and shocks. Also if you have an auto transmission, a secondary trans cooler would be good idea too.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Look at the load ratings your truck has and it will give an idea what rear springs you have. There are three or four spring sets (depending on how you look at it) that are available for the Ranger, 950/1050#, 1250#, and 1750#. Get a good idea on how much weight you are carrying on a regular basis and go from there on which springs you need.

As far as the front, it depends on your suspension setup, you will either have coil springs or torsion bars. There is an upgrade for coils but it isn’t anything “official”. You’ll need to take a gander in the tech section on what they are and what else might be needed. For torsion bars, there are three load levels. I forget what the first one is, A?, B, and 1. 1 is the stiffest/heaviest load rating.

A friend of mine uses a ‘98 RWD, regular cab with a 2.5 engine for his handy man business and I don’t think he upgraded anything outside of the 1250# rear springs I put on it before he bought it. He also has a contractors cap with the side tool boxes on the truck. So, he has loaded it down pretty good.

Fryedbm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Look at the load ratings your truck has and it will give an idea what rear springs you have. There are three or four spring sets (depending on how you look at it) that are available for the Ranger, 950/1050#, 1250#, and 1750#. Get a good idea on how much weight you are carrying on a regular basis and go from there on which springs you need.

As far as the front, it depends on your suspension setup, you will either have coil springs or torsion bars. There is an upgrade for coils but it isn’t anything “official”. You’ll need to take a gander in the tech section on what they are and what else might be needed. For torsion bars, there are three load levels. I forget what the first one is, A?, B, and 1. 1 is the stiffest/heaviest load rating.

A friend of mine uses a ‘98 RWD, regular cab with a 2.5 engine for his handy man business and I don’t think he upgraded anything outside of the 1250# rear springs I put on it before he bought it. He also has a contractors cap with the side tool boxes on the truck. So, he has loaded it down pretty good.
Thanx!!!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Bilstein's are a great shock... certains Rangers had them from the factory.

They're expensive...

Middle of the road KYB Gas-A-Just will be better then a bunch of other stuff you may find. They use to have a lifetime warranty also.. My Mono Max did...

pwrshft99

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Didnt realize the difference fresh shocks would make. Performance shocks would have been nice, but i got a 25% off coupon from Advanced and did Monroes all the way around for under $100. No regrets yets

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals