• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

should I try cleaning MAF sensor?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm in the middle of winter season up here in Manitoba and I think I'm only geting something like 16 mpg's or maybe 350km a tank. The funny thing is it runs perfect, very decent power and no knocking. Anyway just looking for ideas and cleaning maf sensor seems to be popular' but it's expensive part so just want to make sure this is a good idea cleaning it with electrical cleaner.
Also I think there is another sensor after the maf sensor in the air intake anyone know if you should clean this one aswell.?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone bother cleaning there MAF sensor?

If so did it help any? I didn't want to try cleaning it then two or three weeks later have to replace it.
Directions I got:
spray down with electrical cleaner carefull not to touch wires, crossfingers, and hopefully improves lost mpg's

Last edited:

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
you can pick up maf cleaner at your local auto parts shop. that'll work the best. white vinigar works but i'd stick to the maf cleaner. i cleaned out my 4.0 maf and it really didn't do much. you have to be carefull as hell with those things when you pull them out of the housing.

bergz0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
leveling kit
Tire Size
31x10.50x15
take it out spray it up really good, let it dry then put it back in. we just did it to my cousins s10 last week... didnt help. go get a remanufactured one from you auto parts store. if you give me what kind of vehicle it is i could see what my price is.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Cleaning your MAFS is like bolting a blower on. You don't realize what kind of power is lost...

It should be done every tune-up, year, and/or time you go through sloppy mud.

Don't use electrical parts cleaner, there is special stuff made for it. MAF Sensor Cleaner.

To do it,
Key off, unplug the MAF.
Remove the 2 tamper-proof torx screws holding it in the housing.
Don't touch the ''wires'', look close you'll see the crap on the little coils.
From about 6'' away, spray liberally. I use about 1/2 a can.
Let the MAF air dry completely. Make sure it's dry.
Carefully put it back in and your done.

Make sure the key is off, there is a possibility of critical damage to the MAF and/or ECU.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess I'll go ahead and try cleaning it, sounds to easy to make much of a difference, My CEL light isn''t on so I doubt that is the problem

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone know how to get those torx screws off? I need to clean mine. One also looks like it has a cap on it?

So I tried to get the "cap" off with a knife and there is no way to get it off. It is metal. So basically how can I get to the wire part of the MAF? I took the MAF off the truck as a whole unit, and sprayed around in there. Is that all there is to it? I just saw the metal plate, no wires?

Any help would be great!

Last edited:

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
I have cleaned a few MAF's that helped smooth out a rough idle. It is kinda preventive maintenance. If your maf is clean abviously there won't be a differance, but if it has the slightest bit of build up on it it will definately help. I use the CRC (?) MAF cleaner from Advance auto. You need a tamper proof torx bit. It will have a hole in the center to work on the "cap" you are talking about.

ranger_tomm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
helped smooth out a rough idle. It is kinda preventive maintenance. If your maf is clean abviously there won't be a differance You need a tamper proof torx bit. It will have a hole in the center to work on the "cap" you are talking about.
On my '94 Ranger, I used electronics contact cleaner, worked good, I happened to have it around. I did have to buy the tamper proof torx bit, though.
I just got my '02, and haven't done it yet....

north44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 liter SOHC V6
Transmission
Automatic
I clean mine just as preventative maintenance.

Only takes a few minutes, and it can't hurt if you do it properly.

Known issue that they can gum up over time - "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

marlow3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
EFI 331
Transmission
Automatic
just get the torx screws out with a regular torx screwdriver or some pliers or whatever and then replace them with regular screws. **** buying a bit for two little annoying ass screws

4LO 4.O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone know how to get those torx screws off?
I took my Dremel with a cut off wheel and ground a slot in the head of the torx screw, now all I need is a flat head screwdriver.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I took my Dremel with a cut off wheel and ground a slot in the head of the torx screw, now all I need is a flat head screwdriver.
Perfect! That is a great idea. I will do that!:icon_cheers:

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Air Intake Cleaner

I bought some Air Intake Cleaner and got the job done today. I followed the directions spraying it right into the air intake with throttle plate wide open made me a little nervous so I just put a couple sqirts,
Engine light came on I guess it upset the balance a bit since it's flammable. Disconnected battery to reset computer all is well.
I don't think this will improve my 18mpg, I'm beginning to wonder if I have a fuel leak or something cause it runs so perfect.

slolearner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cleaning MAF

A dirty MAF sensor will usually pose drivability problems. Mine ran fine at idle but wouldn't run above idle without stuttering and cutting off. I also didn't have my check engine light on which sorta ballled me too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals