• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I just overhaul the AC system?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
My '94 ranger has factory ac (I think) and it doesn't hold charge for long. It'll be cold for a week and cool for a month, then it's unnoticeable. It is deffinitely pressurized after 5 months tho... went psssst when I loosened the line on the compressor. a complete overhaul is about $350 + SH & tax. Would yall just go for it or try to find the issue? Here are the parts I have in my cart. I'm assuming everything comes with required connectors and o-rings and such.

compressor, condensor, evaporator, expansion valve, suction & liquid hose, orifice tube, drier

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
This is a really good read on how to fix your a/c https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Resurrecting_Your_Ford_Ranger_Air_Conditioning.shtml
Only bad thing is you having the 2.3L a/c lines are routed behind the motor and there is a clamp that can be a PIA to get.
I rebuilt my a/c last summer, 4.0L has line under front of motor only took me about 3 hours
Also you will need manifold gauges and vacuum pump.
One last thing just because you had pressure when you cracked the line does not mean you have enough to activate the compressor

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
One last thing just because you had pressure when you cracked the line does not mean you have enough to activate the compressor
Thanks I’ll check that out. I figure it’s a good sign that it retains some pressure. That might mean that air hasn’t gotten in and the innards of the system haven’t got moisture damage. Of course I’m strongly leaning toward just doing the whole thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals