• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I buy this rear axel for my 2003 Ranger Edge?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Clutch type LSDs are awesome IMO, apart from the maintenance factor.

The Yukon duragrip in my old truck was stellar. Super aggressive.
What is the maintenance factor? All I've ever done to mine is change the oil ever 6 or 8 years

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You can repeat your opinion endlessly but that doesn't make it accurate.
I have had 3 of them, 2 of them I rebuilt with new clutches, slighlty better than an open diff when rebuild but not that great. I certainly wouldn't spend money on a new one or swap a used axle just to get the limited slip. I would rather have an axle with an open diff in it, so I could install a locker.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
but i was just giving other options since the explorer axle is wider than the ranger and jeep axles and i wonder if that f150 kit would work on the jeep axles too, if you got one from a second or third gen grand cherokee that had coil springs? more grand cherokees had d44 rear ends than the others and you can also get disc brakes on the third gen (99-05ish?).
The Explorer axle isn't wider than the Jeep axels it is actually about 1/2 narrower. F150 axles use a different bolt pattern than the Jeeps or Rangers, that's why they aren't used as much. Grand Cherokees never had a real Dana 44 rear they had a Dana 44A which has an aluminum center section and is much weaker. I am in the process of putting an Explorer 8.8 in my Grand Cherokee right now.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
What is the maintenance factor? All I've ever done to mine is change the oil ever 6 or 8 years
The clutches will wear out

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The clutches will wear out
Is there like a notable warning prior to that happening? Is it only due to time, or is it mostly due to heavier use?
Although I haven't spent a lot of time messing with mine, I have kept the oil changed within the recommended parameters, and as far as use goes, I am rarely even in 4WD.
In addition to that the previous owners rarely ever used it in 4X4, in fact they were going to use in the sand once and the light didn't work and they never bothered to get it fixed, even though they kept immaculate maintenance records it was never mentioned, even though they paid top dollar having the AC updated to the newer compressor in roughly 2002

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Is there like a notable warning prior to that happening? Is it only due to time, or is it mostly due to heavier use?
Although I haven't spent a lot of time messing with mine, I have kept the oil changed within the recommended parameters, and as far as use goes, I am rarely even in 4WD.
In addition to that the previous owners rarely ever used it in 4X4, in fact they were going to use in the sand once and the light didn't work and they never bothered to get it fixed, even though they kept immaculate maintenance records it was never mentioned, even though they paid top dollar having the AC updated to the newer compressor in roughly 2002
As with a regular clutch.. not really. The more it sees use the more it'll wear, and the more aggressive the use the quicker the wear.

If the LSD is 'lazy' to engage and the individual driving it doesn't hardly ever spin a tire the clutches could very well last the life of the vehicle.. but if its super aggressive and/or the driver likes to hoon it around a bunch and offroad they'll definitely be replacing them at some point.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I never had a limited slip that wore out. I've never owned a Ford, but i do believe that LS wears out gradually. You would notice that you are getting less and less traction, slowly returning to one wheel drive in slippery spots.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Doesn't matter how much 4x4 was used, every time you make a turn you are slipping the clutches and putting wear on them.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As with a regular clutch.. not really. The more it sees use the more it'll wear, and the more aggressive the use the quicker the wear.

If the LSD is 'lazy' to engage and the individual driving it doesn't hardly ever spin a tire the clutches could very well last the life of the vehicle.. but if its super aggressive and/or the driver likes to hoon it around a bunch and offroad they'll definitely be replacing them at some point.
That is basically what I expected and this has been rarely used and never (knowingly) abused. The front one gets the worst because like recently I made some marks in the grass to show and explain to someone what the limited slip did

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I never had a limited slip that wore out. I've never owned a Ford, but i do believe that LS wears out gradually. You would notice that you are getting less and less traction, slowly returning to one wheel drive in slippery spots.
Doesn't matter how much 4x4 was used, every time you make a turn you are slipping the clutches and putting wear on them.
Is the rear axle engaged no matter what? I'm beginning to believe it must be

Last edited:

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the rear axle locked in no matter what? I'm beginning to believe it must be
What do you mean by "locked in"? The limited slip isn't a locker so it is never "locked" however there is always pressure being applied to the clutches.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Is the rear axle locked in no matter what? I'm beginning to believe it must be
Like 00t44e said, the axles aren't locked together. Pressure is applied to the clutch packs that limits how much they slip. Most limited slip systems increase pressure as more slip happens to a certain point. Typically somewhere around 50%. This is a simplistic explanation though. There is much more to it and more than what I can explain. Ronny Dahl did a video or two on the subject comparing open differentials, limited slip differentials, and locking differentials. Now, he is going at the subject from an off road driving perspective. So, for an only on road driver, the information is going to be a bit skewed but useful none the less. I'm sure there are other youtube channels that cover the subject as well.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Like 00t44e said, the axles aren't locked together. Pressure is applied to the clutch packs that limits how much they slip. Most limited slip systems increase pressure as more slip happens to a certain point. Typically somewhere around 50%. This is a simplistic explanation though. There is much more to it and more than what I can explain. Ronny Dahl did a video or two on the subject comparing open differentials, limited slip differentials, and locking differentials. Now, he is going at the subject from an off road driving perspective. So, for an only on road driver, the information is going to be a bit skewed but useful none the less. I'm sure there are other youtube channels that cover the subject as well.
Yes. Thank you. There are a number of videos and tutorials out there well worth watching and reading. Here's one. https://www.carthrottle.com/post/engineering-explained-the-best-kinds-of-differential-and-whats-most-suitable-for-you/
Basically lockers are good for off road and drag racing while LSDs are better for regular street driving. An LSD requires maintenance, but is smoother on the streets. The down side of lockers is increased tire wear.

Since I drive on the street most of the time I find the LSD helpful when it snows.

I've talked to a guy whose shop rebuilds axles and differentials. Several LSD options are available for the Ranger. The low price is between $1,200.00 and $1,300 depending on the condition of mine. That's kind of pricey for an old truck, but I don't mind. I would like to get it restored.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That price sounds about right honestly.
I think paid around $800 when I regeared and put a brand new Trac-Lok in my F150. I also replaced all the bearings and seals.
I did all the work myself though, and had to buy a few new tools.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
That price sounds about right honestly.
I think paid around $800 when I regeared and put a brand new Trac-Lok in my F150. I also replaced all the bearings and seals.
I did all the work myself though, and had to buy a few new tools.
Agreed. And new bearings and seals are all included.

Do you like the Trac-Lok?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals