• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I buy this rear axel for my 2003 Ranger Edge?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My '97 has an open 4.10 gear and in the right condition the rear end will slide out, but conveniently it's a mile long (that wheelbase is kinda out there, I like the wheelbase of a 4 door explorer better... even after 50k miles and 3 years I still park dumb with the '97 but the '00 Explorer parks perfect...) so "most" of the time it's easy to recover :), way better than the square wheelbase of the old Geo Tracker I had, that thing would go backward if you weren't careful sometimes...

Like everyone says, I don't think the trac lock is a night and day thing, it helps a little but there's only so much those tiny diameter clutches can do. I'm a firm believer in driving on the edge of conditions though, I know where the line is and try to stay on the right side of it and am getting better about recovering if I cross the line, me and the '90 Ranger have been through a lot, I push it pretty hard at times but I know it pretty good, I'm pretty sure it looks kinda funny when I'm doing some things with no sway bars at all... might drive it to work a day next week just for giggles...

Here's the spider gears that were in my '00 Explorer 8.8 when I got it, it lost rear drive... the clutches had NO friction material left, this is what happens with an extremely neglected stock limited slip ford axle...

20160228_204525.jpg

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Apparently there was about 6 accidents in town. First snow of the year I guess.....
Reading this thread, seems those six cars must have had LSD's that caused it, and they are likely to sue the auto manufactures for the accidents. haha :p

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Reading this thread, seems those six cars must have had LSD's that caused it, and they are likely to sue the auto manufactures for the accidents. haha :p
Two of them were school buses. 😬

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reading this thread, I can't help but think there's a section for this thread and this ain't it.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Reading this thread, I can't help but think there's a section for this thread and this ain't it.
I guess that we sometimes drift a little bit off the mark. I'm kind of a drifter too. It's alright though. I rather like to hang out here, especially these last couple weeks when the temperature hovers below zero. Less work and more talk even has its own time and place.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess that we sometimes drift a little bit off the mark. I'm kind of a drifter too. It's alright though. I rather like to hang out here, especially these last couple weeks when the temperature hovers below zero. Less work and more talk even has its own time and place.
Theres drifting off theark, then there's missing the mark completely. This one missed the mark from the word go.

This subforum is for showing off and/or documenting the build of your truck. This thread is about axles and axle tech. There is a sub forum dedicated to axles and axle tech further down the main forum list.

For everyone that's going to complain about my complaining.Yes, this is one of my pet peeves and a soap box I'm not likely to climb off of. Taking a moment to find the correct section of the site to post in both keeps the site neater and more organized, and also helps the thread starter better get the answers that they seek. I understand that it happens accidentally some times, but most of the time it doesn't, and you can ask a mod to move it if you realize that you posted in the wrong place.

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
mine is 2wd so a LSD was a great improvement..Ok I'm in south Texas, we don't get snow. We get freezing rain & ice, a light foot and white knuckle steering, but it goes where I want

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I could have sworn I moved this thread to the axle forum already. I must have not hit "save".

It's moved now... continue side tracking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals