• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Short awning over deck

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I think he want's it wide enough to cover his BBQ.
Yeah, I noticed that and added the "EDIT" at the bottom of my post.

Revised :

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
If you do a 4 post that is 9' at the sidewalk side and 8' at the house side (just estimates on your roof height). Sloped so the rain/snow melt runs on to the existing roof no gutters are needed. It will be high enough not to block the kitchen window view. Tying in to the existing building as you know extra structure is needed. Heck, you could even do a 3 post with 2 on the door side and one at the sidewalk.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
IF @scotts90ranger wants to do POSTS, that's a different approach that requires him to get posts. I think he was wanting to use materials he already has. A small, slim A frame will do what he described he wanted.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
@Ranger850 your sketch is basically what I'm expecting but was going to go the whole width of that section of roof, if you've done a bunch of awnings and think it will work then that's good to hear... I should be able to see some daylight at home tomorrow afternoon and maybe do some looking at things... I've got a bunch of short 2x4 chunks I might screw together for a mockup of a bracket... that door does open inward as any good exterior door should :)

On the brackets I had bolts going lower for more shear strength and updraft protection, the bending strength of 2" tubing should actually be pretty good to even out the load.

I know the deck thing is a disaster, things accumulate, those stupid chromed aluminum 17" wheels need to go away, the bench needs a different home and that rusted out BBQ needs to go away, and I need to lift and level some chunks of that concrete... the to do list of a homeowner is never ending...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
@Ranger850 your sketch is basically what I'm expecting but was going to go the whole width of that section of roof, if you've done a bunch of awnings and think it will work then that's good to hear... I should be able to see some daylight at home tomorrow afternoon and maybe do some looking at things... I've got a bunch of short 2x4 chunks I might screw together for a mockup of a bracket... that door does open inward as any good exterior door should :)

On the brackets I had bolts going lower for more shear strength and updraft protection, the bending strength of 2" tubing should actually be pretty good to even out the load.

I know the deck thing is a disaster, things accumulate, those stupid chromed aluminum 17" wheels need to go away, the bench needs a different home and that rusted out BBQ needs to go away, and I need to lift and level some chunks of that concrete... the to do list of a homeowner is never ending...
Get you some of these to make you life easier. Mount the brackets loosely, then drop the frame in and tighten brackets to the house first then brackets to frame.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hey are you reading my mind? I just built the same thing over my garage. its 16' wide spans and around 9' to catch 8 sheets of 2'x10' 26ga galvanized corrugated roofing. I used 2" square steel tubing of various thicknesses, and 2x4 rectangle tube for the front span.

Rather than just burn it all together with a welder. I built it to come apart. I used 1 3/4" on the ends that drop into my 2" posts and ran through bolts. I drilled and tapped the posts so the cross bars bolt in nice and square with some flat bar for tabs.

The rest goes together with sheet metals screws strategically and minimally placed.

I will try to post some pics. but its not done yet, and its raining lol. I missed the deadline, and had to stuff the garage. I just need make/attach the top joists and screw down the roofing...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Weather was finally good last weekend and I did some work... got some of the square tubing cleaned off of the welds and rust and looked at the roof metal I have... turns out it's 4' not 3'... I think I'm going to do 3 wall brackets and two posts... one post at each end. I just remembered a few days ago that I have 8' pieces of 1.5" round pipe/tube that I made my traction bar out of...

As you can see from my sheet metal stack, that pallet on top is a 4'x4' and there's quite the stack under it... the other picture is obviously of under the eave...

20220108_121251.jpg
20220108_121317.jpg

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
If you get any hiccups, I'll be glad to help as much as I can.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Tightened up the guide bearings on my horizontal bandsaw tonight and made some more cuts that are MUCH NICER than what it made before... turns out the eccentric bolts were loose on the leading edge of the band... cuts dang near perfect now... had the saw for like 4 years now since I got it for $60 but didn't use it until last weekend...

That said, have the metal cut for the brackets so far, no braces at this point, not sure if they're needed, 2" tubing is way overkill for bending I'm pretty sure, especially if I use two legs...

So far I miter cut the uprights and first part at 45 degrees and made the other cut at around 6 degrees which doubled is around 2.5-12 which should be plenty... We'll see how far I get with welding over the weekend, I might get a fair amount done... it's going to get awkward real quick making it a whole assembly but it'll be a nicer final product...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got a good portion done today, not as much as I'd hoped but hey...

This thing started to get unwieldy...

20220123_181202.jpg

Yes my welding setup in the shop currently is really that silly, I don't have enough electricity to run a welder... that issue should be fixed around March apparently according to the power company... I had the 3 brackets built last weekend and the 4 2" tubes done last weekend, today I started by putting in one row of tube then test fitting, then adding the second row of tube and made a row of angle iron (the higher row... it's bed frame, free is free...)

That stack of white stuff on the hand truck to the right of the welder is the sheet metal for the roof, it's all the pieces that has a row of holes that will line up with the middle square tube...

Next step is to drill 9 holes for the lag bolts, then primer the whole assembly, then paint the whole assembly, then mount it up, then build the two legs, then put the roof on and call it done...

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Scotts,

Looking at the photo, I would extend the main roof instead, however far you want and use support posts; at least one on each end with 45° bracing unless longer than 8 feet.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
why not just get one of those plastic little storage sheds to put the bbq in?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Because I want to be able to use it, it rains too much here to do something like that... plus this makes the deck more usable... we'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks...

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
That looks like a heavy SOB. I hope you have help hanging that sucker on the wall 🧱.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yee, it's not light, but not too bad, more than I can put up on my own... conveniently the garage isn't too far away so I can just drag my engine hoist over there... I don't think the tubing I have is 1/8" wall, it's lighter, never measured.

I don't think I'll be able to get the lag bolts into studs, my brother brought up the idea of using toggle nuts or whatever you call those steel spring loaded things top go on the other side, those in 3/8" should more than cover things even just on the top then have two lag bolts under that per leg...

Also will be adding a corner gusset at the 90 degree corner on the inside, just a triangle of tubing...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals