• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Short awning over deck

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a pellet grill that keeps getting wet and the auger plugs up, it's annoying to clear out... plus if I had some rain cover on the back deck thing it would be kinda nice... The problem is this deck is right in front of the kitchen window so I don't want to cover up the whole view... Keep in mind this is on the down wind side of the house and there's a 1' overhang on the roof next to where I'm talking about

So here's my thought, I have a bunch of 3' lengths of metal roofing and a fair amount of some light gauge 2" steel square tubing. If I made two perlins out of the tube then made 3 brackets to lag bolt to the wall that are 3' tall would that be sufficient for a 3'x15' with about a 2-12 roof slope? This would mount the roofing just under the gutter on the house. I could do 4 brackets, I would just prefer to not do any posts... I'm in western Oregon, snow load shouldn't be an issue as it's been years since there's been more than 3" of snow and even that is rare...

I'll get a picture of where I'm talking about and make a sketch of the brackets I'm thinking of later today...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Do you have somewhere to store posts? Can you fabricate something into the rafters to hold a post(s) if needed? Better to have and not need?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, here's a pic of where I'm talking about and one of my sketch, it is sorta to scale at 4 boxes to a foot but I haven't taken any real measurements other than that gutter is just over 14' long... as you can see by the gutter line height compared to the door I don't have much height to deal with hence the shallow pitch...

20211219_143846.jpg

20211219_181134.jpg

RustyShackleford94

Just some guy
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would tie it into every other stud and have full or near full length supports on both ends like this.
2ADEF910-0894-47B9-B9E7-01B35ED3C1E6.jpeg

4 1/2” or even 3/8” lags will hold it no problem. Built like this i would guess the sheet metal roof would give before the frame work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A triangle is strongest, but i dont see a need to go all the way to the bottom of the upright. Keep the brace level IMO.
Snow isnt heavy until it gets wet. And it would be real easy to clean the snow off that...
And i dont see a need for the kink in the top piece.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The kink in the top was just to go out from the wall and meet where the gutter is for the metal, the gutter is mounted to a fascia board so I gotta get to that... but yeah, that wouldn't be necessary, I'll play with it.

For the brace I imagine splitting the difference would be enough, it'll be fully welded 1/8" wall 2" square tubing since that's what I have, all I have invested in the material is 3 hours grinding it apart from what it was originally... and the metal roofing I got in a pallet deal and is what is left over from building a 12'x20' lean to for my tractor several years ago...

Even every other stud is only 5 supports, I gotta do an inventory of the metal at this point...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you run the roof panel parallel to the gutter you can save some material. Just screw the panel directly to the brackets. Put a very slight slope to the brackets so the rain water runs of away from the house. You can buy self tappers that have a washer and gasket meant for steel roofing over steel perlins.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Good catch. Definite need to pitch the top panel away from the house or there's potential for a lot of water damage (e.g. rain/snow). I see snow laying up there, melting closer to the house first - trapping it between snow and the wall, weeping up into the soffit and penetrating the wall necessitating a complete tear down and rebuild.

Just call me Dr. Doom...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
IMO, you're really over thinking this. A simple 4 post with a sloped roof to cover the patio that is not attached to the house would be simple, easy and fast.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMO, you're really over thinking this. A simple 4 post with a sloped roof to cover the patio that is not attached to the house would be simple, easy and fast.
But he is trying to keep a semi-clear view from the kitchen window...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
So? Just move the kitchen window...geez...how hard can it be?

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I was planning on having it tilt away from the house no matter what, probably run some type of gutter at some point (I think it has rained 3-6" since Friday?).

I know I'm over thinking everything, I'm an engineer, it's what I do... :), but I'm also a cheapskate so trying to use what I have and don't want to cover the whole ~8'x16' patio since the roof next to it is so friggin short and to go high enough to clear the kitchen window would get silly...

Ok, how about 4 posts but attached to the house for stability at 2 points, two perlins with a couple brackets to attach to the fascia board if any of that makes any sense... posts at the corners, ~14' span with .120" wall 2" tube I think that could be doable...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Ok, here's a pic of where I'm talking about and one of my sketch, it is sorta to scale at 4 boxes to a foot but I haven't taken any real measurements other than that gutter is just over 14' long... as you can see by the gutter line height compared to the door I don't have much height to deal with hence the shallow pitch...

View attachment 69508
View attachment 69507

I've built and installed awnings for the past 15 years. I tried to do different colors to separate the 'pieces' . If the door swings out, you need a projection more than 36" to cover the open door. If it swings IN, no need for the 36". Too much projection and you'll need support. More drop add more support. Width would be whatever you desired. No brackets needed if you drill holes in the top back arm and the down arms.

If you go through the frame, the lower on the down arm, the more strength from "up drafts" ( wind hitting the side of the house and going up into the awning.)

Feel free to ask ANY questions. I have over 10,000 hrs doing this type of work. (actull almost 20,ooo hrs)

EDIT: I put the Awning over the door, old habits and all, but the same concept will work over the grill.

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
View attachment 69629

I've built and installed awnings for the past 15 years. I tried to do different colors to separate the 'pieces' . If the door swings out, you need a projection more than 36" to cover the open door. If it swings IN, no need for the 36". Too much projection and you'll need support. More drop add more support. Width would be whatever you desired. No brackets needed if you drill holes in the top back arm and the down arms.
View attachment 69630

If you go through the frame, the lower on the down arm, the more strength from "up drafts" ( wind hitting the side of the house and going up into the awning.)

Feel free to ask ANY questions. I have over 10,000 hrs doing this type of work. (actull almost 20,ooo hrs)

EDIT: I put the Awning over the door, old habits and all, but the same concept will work over the grill.
View attachment 69629

View attachment 69630

I think he want's it wide enough to cover his BBQ.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals