• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shop lift?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As far as concrete thickness, it would be fairly simple to cut out a 2 foot square, dig it down, add rebar if needed, and fill it back up with new concrete.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Standard concrete floors are usually 3" to 3 1/2" thick.

From most installation instructions
Basements we always did 3”, garages and driveways usually got graded around a 4”. Sidewalks and patios were 3-1/2”. That was usually the best bang for the buck except the one homeowner had a half track so we poured his 6” to handle it. Most other guys around here weren’t so particular and their stuff could run anywhere from 3” to 6” with the “rough it with a skid steer and just fill it with concrete“ mentality.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
yikes 3-1/2" is too shallow 4-1/4" is min spec for the BendPaks above

how could I tell besides drilling a hole??

this would derail my plans wouldn't it.
Basically drill a hole is about your best option.

But… if it is too thin, if you know where it’s going to sit, you can mark it out, go at least a foot past it on all sides, if not a little bigger, cut and break the concrete inside that, dig it down (I’d probably go 6” at least), and pour new concrete. Finish it off and once it’s hard, you’re good to go. If it’s an offset lift, maybe make the pads a bit longer. That’s all they did when they replaced the lifts in a local Monroe Muffler (I almost ended up with the job).

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Could also consider a scissor type lift. They don't provide as much access undeath. However, you don't have any pillars to worry about, and most don't need to be anchored into the ground/ can be moved around.

View attachment 87652
I got to work on my first Ranger on one of those. Shop I was going to was run out of a two car garage. Failed inspection for a balljoint. I didn’t have enough money to pay the mechanic for the inspection and the fix, so we compromised and I paid him what I could, he got the part and put it on his lift and said go at it. His ceiling was so low it could barely get my Ranger off the ground, for awhile he didn’t want me bringing my F-150 there years later because it is so high, but that’s another story. Anyway, he helped me learn how to change a ball joint. It was a pretty cramped garage and the lift couldn’t help a ton, but it was a help.

I’ve had the privilege of being able to use two post lifts in a junkyard at college where I made friends with the owner and his buddies. I also was allowed to use lifts (both 2 post and 4 post) at the local Monroe Muffler for several years. Makes life waaaay easier. I want. Now. Lol.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, There is going to be a bar on the top, or on the bottom. to get the hydraulics from the side with the levers to the other side.

View attachment 87646View attachment 87647
No hydraulic lines going across. Those are cables with pulleys going across. There is only 1 cylinder on the lift, the rest is done with cables. Even the 4 post lifts only have one cylinder, and then a maze of cables going around to the other 3 corners to lift them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd be content with a four post.

Screenshot_20230117-204326_Flickr.jpg

Not as severe cement thickness issues, some models are mobile and you can double stack park.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'd be content with a four post.

View attachment 87670

Not as severe cement thickness issues, some models are mobile and you can double stack park.
Personally, I’d rather have both. If I could only take one it would probably come to price at the time I was getting it. But some jobs are just easier with a 2 post. It was really nice having that option when I was able to use the one local shop. I even thought about when I can get my shop built, get a couple 4 post storage lifts, pretty sure some of those will let you park a SUV under them

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
NO!!! Don't shop lift! Trust me it'll be cheaper to just pay for it in the the long run.

Oh, you mean a car lift in a shop. Why didn't ya say so? :icon_twisted:

This is somethink on my bucket list too. I'll be building a shop for mine (have nothing now) so I'll have the luxury of deciding on wall/ceiling height rather than working with whats available. I'm torn between a 2 and 4 post, decent chance I'd end up with both eventually. Just looked at the first couple of posts, I'm going to read the thread properly later so I can see whats really being discussed.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
To add to what some of you have already said about concrete thickness, keep this rule in mind: on newer houses and garages the contractor and builder are likely to use the bare minimum that meets code and local rules. So expect a floor thickness more like 3" instead of the proper one you need for a lift. Expect to dig and pour more concrete for your lift.

Why do you think newer houses are called McMansions? Big bucks for crap.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
To add to what some of you have already said about concrete thickness, keep this rule in mind: on newer houses and garages the contractor and builder are likely to use the bare minimum that meets code and local rules. So expect a floor thickness more like 3" instead of the proper one you need for a lift. Expect to dig and pour more concrete for your lift.

Why do you think newer houses are called McMansions? Big bucks for crap.
Actually, most McMansions originally were where handy McHomeowner decided to build his own mansion instead of hiring a contractor because doing it himself would be soo much cheaper and it’s not all that hard, right? Yeah, most of them are still half-finished and abandoned…

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. I see plenty of McMansions around here. Giant ugly houses with with 47 ridges on the roof and 85 dormers of all different shapes and sizes. No rhyme or reason to their layout, just make it big and obnoxious.

Yo, dog, I heard you like dormers. So I put a dormer on your dormer on your dormer.

1674054642061.png

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
you have to specifically ask for thicker concrete other wise its 3". my brother-in-law owns a concrete company and we just talked about pad thickness at christmas for a new barndominium on my lot.

having a lift would be a dream come true but my garage only has short ceilings, not even 8 foot. same height as in the house because it was built back in the 50s. and either side is wide enough i can maybe get the ranger in and open the driver's door to get out. mine is more to for horse carriages, ha ha ha

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Off topic, but this 1920 house, would cost a fortune to rebuild the same. First of all they use oak full size framing for most of it. Then you have brick over wood sheathing, and you have lath for walls and ceilings, and the plaster was put in all that, and all wood floors, you'd never be able to find guys who could plaster like they did then, they must have been fast on it for sure. Lath walls cut noise a lot more than sheetrock.
If you hire somebody to do plaster work and ask them "where's your hawk?" and they say "what's a hawk?" get somebody else.
You can do an awfully lot of fixing without sanding and making a huge mess, what they used to do was sponge the finish cost while damp.... there's a whole craft that except for a few experts seems to be lost.

About the floor, I suppose I can drill and test.... not eager to dig out and pour more concrete. Couple thoughts, one, let's say it's 80% of the thickness, aint that good enough? They must be allowing a safety margin.
Seriously... I dunno... scissors jack has some appeal, for a car build, it does get it up higher to work on, that's the main need for that. No real install and you can move it out of the way. Have to check them out more.

Seems like for a test hole it might make sense to do it as-if it were a hole for the lift mounts, then if it's good (thick), go for it, otherwise, re-evaluate what to do at that point.

Thanks for info on the disasters, I'll keep that in mind, any gross re-balancing due to taking stuff off, that's dangerous.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Worst case your truck and lift fall over...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals