• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shop heat....

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This might answer that question SK. There's a vent built into the fire door that I've always kept closed for burning wood.
I've never used coal in it but think this gives the coal a better oxygen supply up top in the fire box
So to adapt a wood burning stove to burn coal, you just have to increase the oxygen supply?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I mean is he... A lady?

Cause a whoooooole Lotta stuff would start making sense.
Nope. Last time I went to the bathroom, I found indications that I'm male. I'd explain what evidence I have, but there are ladies present (and this forum is SUPPOSED to be G-rated!)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
So to adapt a wood burning stove to burn coal, you just have to increase the oxygen supply?
I think they are built heavier too to accommodate the higher heat output coal produces as well. It wouldn't be good if the fire burns through the floor of the stove.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I think they are built heavier too to accommodate the higher heat output coal produces as well. It wouldn't be good if the fire burns through the floor of the stove.

Details, details

meh_cat.jpg

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Put coal in your woodstove and report back to us what happens :icon_cheers:

This is the worst thing that can happen

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It was about 2007 when I set mine up, and I did a lot of research, so some of the information I found and still recall was on forums and such. The closest model they still show is this https://www.usstove.com/product/1800-sq-ft-coal-only-circulator-stove/ and there's a user manual there, but it doesn't really explain the use of the door vents. The front bottom of the firebox has a vent connected to a knob that adjusts it, and that's the only one I've ever used. The knob has a thermostat that can be fully open while it's heating up, and slowly closes as it gets hotter, very nice to have. All I can remember about the door vents and burning coals connections must have come from a forum or something similar.

That thing's heavy too, weighs about 250 pounds, has a firebox inner, and metal cover outer all around(even when it's hot a kid could touch it and not get burned). Mine's up on blocks about 7 inches off the floor

Also all I've ever used in it is wood, and their descriptions of its use have changed since then. likely due to regulations

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Fire goes in the toilet!

giphy (25).gif

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I've heard of someone having/being a "flaming asshole", but now that there is real proof !!!
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2000 sq ft shop in a warehouse with 12 ft ceilings. It’s 50 yrs old, cinder block with a flat roof. Zero insulation. The only thing that works for me are propane radiant heaters. I have 4 120 lb propane tanks, each fitted with a dual head unit from harbor freight. I can run as many as I need, but it’s rarely more than 2. I just move them around to where I’m working. They’re crazy efficient compared to everything else. I have a large shop fan that I aim at the ceiling on low, circulates the heat down from the rafters. One of them I have aimed at a 4x8 ft piece of 1/4” steel plate I salvaged which is leaning against a block wall. It makes a great radiant heater amplifier. All was about $700 for tanks n heads. There’s a welding shop a block away that delivers fresh tanks no charge but for the fill.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2000 sq ft shop in a warehouse with 12 ft ceilings. It’s 50 yrs old, cinder block with a flat roof. Zero insulation. The only thing that works for me are propane radiant heaters. I have 4 120 lb propane tanks, each fitted with a dual head unit from harbor freight. I can run as many as I need, but it’s rarely more than 2. I just move them around to where I’m working. They’re crazy efficient compared to everything else. I have a large shop fan that I aim at the ceiling on low, circulates the heat down from the rafters. One of them I have aimed at a 4x8 ft piece of 1/4” steel plate I salvaged which is leaning against a block wall. It makes a great radiant heater amplifier. All was about $700 for tanks n heads. There’s a welding shop a block away that delivers fresh tanks no charge but for the fill.
How long do those bottles last? A 25 gallon bottle here cost $75 to fill. This is the first year I didn't use wood, and between the propane and the electricity it's not only much colder, it's expensive as hell ;)

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'll give you tree fiddy right now

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
DAMN YOU!!! STOP GIVIN THAT LOCH NESS MONSTAH ABOUT TREE FIDDY! HE AINT NEVER GONNA GO AWAY YOU KEEP GIVIN HIM TREE FIDDY!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals