• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shock options

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys im planning a 3/4 drop in my 94 and have a few shock questions

first can anyone recomend shocks that have some adjustability rather than just the bolt on and go shocks from djm? i have their dream beams.

and for the rear i have all the stuff to do an exp rear end swap and flip to aos with the two exp spring plates. i have no idea what shocks will fit here and with this as my dd i dont want to install it all and run without shocks. so if someone can chime in about what shocks will bolt in this situation it would be much appriciated!

thanks guys

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For the front you should still be able to use stock size shocks. The dream beams don't change the location of the lower shock mount relative to the frame, only the location of the spindle. If you also install a drop spring, then you will need drop shocks for the front. I believe people use Nissan hard body shocks for the rear.

FYI you will need two driver side spring plates IIRC. Wait, did I just said that the other day in you other thread on the Explorer? If I did, sorry to sound like a broken record.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wait I need 2 drivers side? Wouldn't that locate the shock on the other side of the spring or am I supposed to flip them over?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Let me see if I can find a thread that explains it better, I'll give you a link if I can.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the help josh

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok haven't found a thread yet. On the Explorer I bought for my V8 & axle swap the shocks (both of them) were behind the axle. On the Ranger only the driver side shock is behind the axle. On the driver side the Explorer spring plate's shock mount will be on the same side of the axle as the upper shock mount on the Ranger. The spring plate on the passenger side can't be rotated to align with the upper mount on the Ranger. You will need a second driver side plate to rotate 180% and install on the passenger side of the truck. The other option would be to move passenger side upper shock mount on the ranger back on the frame.

EDIT: Damn can't believe I have no pics of the Explorer axle under the rear of my 86. I'll try to get some to show you exactly what I am talking about, but since I have school tomorrow it'll probably be Thursday before I can.

Last edited:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That explains it perfectly! Now I understand how it goes together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals