• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shock mounts

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
Got up early this morning to start smoking a turkey, and was sitting here drinking my coffee, staring at my trucks rear end, thinking about how when i do the axle swap id sure love to get rid of those rock grabbing lower shock mounts. Anyone have any placement recommendations, objections, this will be done to an 8.8. Should i keep shocks in factory setup ie. One forward, one towards rear, or set it up like an explorer both to the rear. And upon moving the mounts from the bottom of the axle should i use a shorter shock, or move upper mount back to retain travel length. Or did ford know best and i should just keep it set up the same way.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I was going to convert my '10 to an outboard shock setup using some custom axle u-bolt plates that had eyes welded on the top of them. I forget the name of the company that makes them. Some off road racey company.

That way, no mounts under the axle.. and handling gets improved.

Edit: Kartek makes the plates

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Do you have a suspension lift on it (at least 3" or so)? If so, putting shorter shocks on after you raise the lower shock mounts shouldn't be a problem (you may need to lower the rear bump stops slightly). If no susp. lift, then you'll probably want to raise the uppers as well.

The one-ahead, one-behind shock placement I recall was an attempt to counteract wheel hopping in the event your rear tires break traction (such as while off road). It's mildly effective, but doesn't come close to eliminating it the way a traction bar would. Unless it creates a clearance issue with another modification, I'd say keep it with that arrangement since every bit helps (if you put a traction bar on it, then it's probably irrelevant which way they are set up).

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Do you have a suspension lift on it (at least 3" or so)? If so, putting shorter shocks on after you raise the lower shock mounts shouldn't be a problem (you may need to lower the rear bump stops slightly). If no susp. lift, then you'll probably want to raise the uppers as well.

The one-ahead, one-behind shock placement I recall was an attempt to counteract wheel hopping in the event your rear tires break traction (such as while off road). It's mildly effective, but doesn't come close to eliminating it the way a traction bar would. Unless it creates a clearance issue with another modification, I'd say keep it with that arrangement since every bit helps (if you put a traction bar on it, then it's probably irrelevant which way they are set up).
Thank you that was the kinda reply i was looking for, there is just so much contradictory info online.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The upper shock mounts would be hard to move... when I was doing my traction bar last year I considered doing something different but instead I just moved the lower mount an inch outboard from where we blindly put them on 10 years ago... we went with just plate mounts that were way shorter than stock, works fine apparently...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A little bit of creativity will be needed to raise the upper shock mounts, this is true... (they are mounted inside the c-channel of the frame)

On my BII I cut the mounts just below where the upper stud is, then welded in a section of 3/8" steel plate to raise it, then added a couple gussets to it for support.

Unfortunately this is the only pic I seem to have showing anything of the modified shock mount (and not a very good one at that)

I can get a better pic tomorrow if needed...

I was going to fab up some entirely new mounts from scratch, but so far these have been working for me.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
A little bit of creativity will be needed to raise the upper shock mounts, this is true... (they are mounted inside the c-channel of the frame)

On my BII I cut the mounts just below where the upper stud is, then welded in a section of 3/8" steel plate to raise it, then added a couple gussets to it for support.

Unfortunately this is the only pic I seem to have showing anything of the modified shock mount (and not a very good one at that)

I can get a better pic tomorrow if needed...

I was going to fab up some entirely new mounts from scratch, but so far these have been working for me.
If you could get a pic of the mount id appreciate it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It's pretty tight under there, but here's as good a pic I could do...

I cut the original mount (red line), welded a 3/8" thick plate onto it, then welded the top part of the mount to the top of the 3/8" plate (grinding it down a bit to account for the thickness of the plate). Finally I welded a gusset (made of 1/8" plate) to the front to strengthen it. It's raised approximately 2½".

shock mount.jpg

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
It's pretty tight under there, but here's as good a pic I could do...

I cut the original mount (red line), welded a 3/8" thick plate onto it, then welded the top part of the mount to the top of the 3/8" plate (grinding it down a bit to account for the thickness of the plate). Finally I welded a gusset (made of 1/8" plate) to the front to strengthen it. It's raised approximately 2½".

View attachment 63576
Ty that looks about the best easy mod to move the mount

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That would likely only work with a body lift unless you are trying to move forward or backward some too... at least on my '90 the upper mounts are fairly close to the bed...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I was going to suggest moving the shocks outside the frame but after looking at mine, there isn't enough room to do that unless you get a way shorter shock and mount them to the plate on top of the spring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals