• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

shifting problems PLEASE HELP

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 99 ranger xlt with a 5 inch lift and 33 inch tires on it. I let a reputable transmission company work on my transmission on my little ranger. (this company has fixed several of my previous vehicles with no problem) They had my truck for 11 months and couldn't get it to work correctly. I wanted to keep my existing transmission in that I had before, after 8 different transmissions in the vehicle the owner finally told me he was just going to put one of his in that he had. I was suppose to get a one year warranty on it and it has now been two years. With in the 2 years of having the truck I have put 452 miles on it as of today I don't drive it much just to work and back maybe twice a month. The issue im having is I have a hard jerk going from gears 1-3 and also when it down shifts from 3-1. Now some times it works like a champ and doesn't jerk at all. I took it to another transmission company last week and they did a diagnostic test on it to see what they can find. He was stumped because he had no idea what was wrong without him tearing it apart he couldn't tell me. He did say his machine hooked up was not reading anything from that transmission when he hooked up his machine. So he was saying that sometimes the abs kicks on my dash and thats when he notices the jerk more. From what he said since his machine is not getting any reading when the transmission revs up he feels like the transmission line is building up to much pressure because it doesn't know when to shift or not to shift. If anyone can please help me out with what they think or feel id greatly appreciate it. I know he did say it could be the sensor that connections to the rear end but when we unplug it and plug it back he still doesn't get any readings.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine in the 1999 Ranger?

You would have either a 4R44E or a 5R55E transmission depending on the engine size

Not following the ability to read OBD2 sensors in live data
Was there no connection at all or just no transmission data?

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 3.0, and when he plugged it up to the obd2 he was not getting any transmission data at all. The abs light would come on the dash and he would go unplug the sensor on the rear end and plug it back up to see if it would make the sensor go off, but it wouldn't read any revving at all.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, on the 1998 to 2000 Rangers the rear axle ABS sensor was also used by the GEM module(behind radio) for speedometer/odometer, cruise and computer's speed signal

If speedometer is working correctly then that rear axle sensor and GEM is working
The OBD2 displays this speed signal, from GEM to computer, not the signal from rear axle sensor directly
With 33" tires the speedometer will read low and that may effect shifting because speed is part of shifting parameters in the computer

1999 did have the Option for 4Wheel ABS, do you have 4WABS?
If you look in the engine bay you would see the 4WABS unit near the brake master cylinder on inner fender, can't miss it, has 5 brake lines and larger wiring connector on it

I am not well versed in the OBD2 parameters needed to see transmission data, there are some APPS you can buy that have "extended" parameter codes(PIDs)
You use a Bluetooth OBD2 reader($20), this is just a wireless communication device it doesn't have any 'software' inside
You then pick an APP to use on a tablet or smartphone, these are free to $20, and these APPS have the PID codes to request data from the engine computer, this is the software thats important
You need the correct Ford PID code to get computer to send you the correct data

Last edited:

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do have the 4 wheel abs and I believe its bad you can see the oil or grease from it as if it was leaking. I used to have a obd2 reader called bluedriver and it came with all those perimeters but don't think it had the one for the transmission. Let me run outside and see if I can get a photo of it and attach it here. Well for some reason it will not allow me to post the picture that I have of it but yes I do have that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what software the Bluedriver is compatible with, its expensive

More used to ELM327 type, under $20, as said this is just a wireless interface that allows communications with engine computer from an APP

Check and see if there is a Ford update for the Bluedriver APP

I would say the ABS light is more likely to be from the 4WABS unit from your description so not related to shifting issue as long as speedometer is working as it should

Is speedometer working as it should?

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I will buy one tonight on amazon and it is saying it should be here on Thurs., from what I know of yes it is working correctly and like i said its hit and miss sometimes with the jerking. Id say 70% of the time it does it but the 30% of the time it works just fine so not sure at all.

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I did buy one and the speed is coming on like it should, it is off around 3-5 miles per hour with the bigger tires so not to sure what is going on. One thing I did notice that does happen, on my engine load it bogs down when i press on the gas harder than normal or start going up a hill. On the engine load it is coming to 100% when it bogs down,but I mean at other times it will be around 45% when im not even pressing on the gas and constantly goes up to high 90% not sure why. I don't even have the ac/heat on any ideas?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
3-5MPH translates to 6-10%, which also applies to MPG and BHP even though one would go up while the other goes down

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine load is calculated in a few ways, 25% load idling in Park is not unusual, in gear 45%
Its current air flow(MAF) vs Max air flow(engine displacement) basically
25% can mean air flow is 25% of maximum, so throttle is closed and there is vacuum in the intake
100% load would mean very low vacuum in intake, i.e. throttle wide open

If engine is losing power at high demand, high load, then could be fuel pressure is dropping off, dirty fuel filter or failing fuel pump
If possible test fuel pressure, 1999 should run 55psi pressure

kurtis_garcia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My fuel pump went out on me last year around Thanksgiving, well it technically didn't go out,but that is what I thought the problem was. So I put in a new fuel pump and the pressure was around 53 psi at the time when I changed it. I wish I could upload or show a photo of the live data that I have from that reader,but from my iphone it won't let me upload a photo it shows it isn't supported on here for some reason. At this point im giving up on the shifting issue, the transmission company said it will be about 400 for them to diagnose the problem, so I guess ill just keep driving it like this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals