• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifting out of first/ no clutch?

Matta_Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The other day i took my 1995 Ford Ranger 5spd std. out to a mud pit went through it twice and was pulling out a 1500 silverado, yes i was successful the first time but the second time no i dropped the clutch a good few times trying to get a bit more speed and had no luck so i drove it up and parked it, turned it off. About 10 mins later i get back in and my clutch was quite hard to push down and wouldnt shift into any gear unless i turned it off, clutched, and into first. Once it turns on the clutch seems to do barely anything once my foot is off the brakes it goes. Once moving it wouldnt go into any gear not second nothing. I drove it home about 3 miles away and parked it. When i came to a stop at a traffic light the car seems to vibrate intensely untill at a complete stop. Ive had all my buddies take a look and nobody has the slightest clue, someone help. I dont want to tow it to a shop or drive it anywhere, so give me a shout and ill be happy to give you anymore information

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible you may have ruptured your clutch line. Inspect the line from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder. If all looks good, check the clutch reservoir, make sure it has fluid in it. If it does, try bleeding the system. If no air is present, and no leaks present (make sure to check the bottom of the bellhousing at the motor for leaks), your slave cylinder may need to be replaced, providing your clutch is ok...

SVT

Matta_Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
It's possible you may have ruptured your clutch line. Inspect the line from the slave cylinder to the master cylinder. If all looks good, check the clutch reservoir, make sure it has fluid in it. If it does, try bleeding the system. If no air is present, and no leaks present (make sure to check the bottom of the bellhousing at the motor for leaks), your slave cylinder may need to be replaced, providing your clutch is ok...

SVT
So could you point me in a direction to look in for the clutch line, slave cylinder, and master cylinder? Im not sure if its an internal slave...Thanks

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Look on the driver side of the engine, underneath, just inside the framerail. Where the transmission bolts to the engine, its a black line about 12" further back from engine to transmission mounting point. This is your hydraulic clutch line. Inside the transmission is your hydraulic slave cylinder. Follow that line to the top of the firewall, this will be your master cylinder, there will be a second line on top the mc going to a cup, this is your reservoir...

SVT

Matta_Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I inspected the line and I found it seemed kinda oily, the fluid for it wasn't low though which confuses me...what else should I be looking for?

Matta_Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Never mind I found the correct line and it looks perfectly fine to me, I'm starting to think it could be my slave cylinder...what do you think?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
From your not too clear explanation, it sounds like you have either a pressure plate or clutch disc failing. Maybe both.

Could have gotten mud packed in the bell housing?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Could be the clutch, or the slave, either way, you need to pull the tranny. As good maintenance, I'd change the clutch and slave...

SVT

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you smoked your clutch to me. Pulling out a stuck full size truck will take it's toll.

Matta_Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
well the mud pit was deep enough to cover my hood so makes sense, thanks yall. im gonna pull the tranny hopefully tomorrow and ill post what i find...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals