• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifter lever

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
From the top.....

When I bought the 2004 Ranger, the gal I bought it from said there was one quirk..... If you turn the key, and the starter does not engage (nothing happens) simply shove the gear shift lever a little harder into "P" for park..... It is apparently then that the neutral safety switch will allow you to start it. I have basically spent over 200 hours rebuilding/refurbishing this truck and this was a minor issue to me but it has happened once and I also showed my wife what to do if she turned the key and nothing happened.....

So what's the issue? I was being very careful yesterday on the maiden trip to the lake to launch my small fishing boat, and concentrating on everything to make sure I didn't miss something, when I got to "thinking" about launching this boat.... procedure of course is to back the trailer into the lake, put the vehicle in PARK, get out, stand on the tailgate, and release everything to push the boat off the trailer into the lake..... so..... would this transmission stay in park???? and if not, there you are... standing on the tailgate as the truck rolls slowly into the lake..... I didn't need that!!!! As it turned out, I backed down the ramp, put the shift lever into park and made sure it was going to stay there (revved the engine a few times to make sure it was in park), but at the same time, waited a bit to make sure... it did... I launched the boat, and parked the rig.... and repeated the same process to retrieve the boat...... but, I don't want this to be an issue...... so I looked and found the inevitable You Tube video on how to adjust the red needle that indicates that you are in park, whatever... easy to do... but.... I have some questions.... and perhaps somebody has been there, done that....

First, since the red needle is out of adjustment.... and the process to correct this appears to be quite simple, which I will do.... but would this affect the neutral safety switch as well? and correct that issue?

Second, is there a way to adjust the transmission linkage so the lever goes into park and stays there? Is this a common problem? Any ideas?

And finally.... I don't know if the previous owner used the emergency brake at all.... and if you have been working on vehicles for years, you know where this is going.... If an emergency/parking brake has not been used regularly, they are notorious for activating and working... but when it comes time to release the parking brake, it doesn't release because of corrosion etc.... so that was not an option to me... with two choices while you are blocking the fishing ramp..... and getting "looks" from other people.... waiting to launch.... I also considered shutting off the Ranger after putting it in park.... but that would mean probably a slower roll into the lake if it came out of park...

So I will adjust the red needle, but is there an adjustment to make sure this transmission is in park? My tow vehicle is a Chevy work truck and I will go back to using that until I get this situation rectified and some confidence in the Ranger....

Also, I attached a picture of my fishing rig.....and as you can see, the "bumper hitch" is too high.... but works..... but if I use this on a regular basis now, I will probably add a decent bolt on frame trailer hitch unit..... Am I going to get a surprise on this process? or is this going to be the usual four bolt process?

As always... thanks for your help...... all suggestions appreciated.... well.... most suggestions appreciated..... LOL

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Your switch for starting (and also to tell the computer what position the lever is in) is mounted on the side of the transmission where the lever is located on the side. You have a cable that actuates this.

1. Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position and hang a 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight on the shift control selector lever.
    • Move the gearshift lever to the first gear position, then move back 2 detents to the (D) position.
    • Hang the 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight on the gearshift lever.

1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual control lever.

1. Pull out the transmission shift cable adjustment lock on the shift cable body.

1. Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
    1. Rotate the manual control lever fully counterclockwise.
    1. Rotate the manual control lever clockwise to the (D) position. (2 detents).

1. Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

1. Push in the transmission shift cable adjustment lock on the shift cable body.

1. Remove the 1.4 kg (3 lb) weight.

1. CAUTION
    CAUTION: To prevent damage, do not adjust the transmission shift cable in any position other than (D).

Verify that the vehicle will start only in PARK or NEUTRAL and that backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, repeat Steps 1 through 7 and carry out a digital transmission range sensor alignment; refer to Automatic Transmission — 5R44E and 5R55E.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Digital Transmission Range Sensor removal and adjustment.

Removal

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Jacking and Lifting.

1. Disconnect the shift cable from the manual control lever.

1. Disconnect the digital transmission range (TR) sensor electrical connector.

1. Remove the manual control outer lever nut and manual control outer lever.

1. Remove the screws and the digital TR sensor.

Installation

1. Install the digital TR sensor and loosely install the screws.

1. CAUTION
    CAUTION: Tightening one screw before tightening the other may cause the sensor to bind or become damaged.

NOTE
    NOTE: The manual lever must be in the NEUTRAL position.

Using the special tool, align the digital TR sensor and tighten screws in an alternating sequence.

1. Install the manual control outer lever and nut.

1. Connect the digital transmission range (TR) sensor electrical connector.

1. Connect the shift cable to the manual control lever.

1. Verify that the shift cable is adjusted correctly. For additional information, refer to Automatic Transaxle/Transmission External Controls.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
On your parking brake, you should be using it. Find a good time to try it and see what happens. If it works ok, then keep using it everyday. If you use it everyday, it should not get rusted and sticky.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry... got the wrong video... and will try to find the right one!!!

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On your parking brake, you should be using it. Find a good time to try it and see what happens. If it works ok, then keep using it everyday. If you use it everyday, it should not get rusted and sticky.
I talked to the previous owners today and asked them if anybody in the family used the emergency brake, and got three blank stares... nope.... and she texted her son and he didn't ever use it either.... for at least the last 60,000 miles.... so I would be taking a chance using it. The plan is to remove the lower dash plate and inner metal plate and adjust the red gear indicator .... and then I watched the video below and have no idea if this procedure/part is the same on all Ford trucks.... I will move the shift lever to see if this part moves or "anything" moves.... If I need to do an adjustment on the transmission I am going to take the truck to a local mechanic who has been very competent on my other vehicles when I chose not to do the work myself... I suspect he has seen this problem many times... I might have him look/try the emergency brake as well.... Thanks...

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just thinking... IF I want to test the vehicle in park to see if it truly will stay in park... If I shut the key off, and the indicator is in park, and remove the key, I should not be able to pull the shift lever out of park... corrrect? So it might be a better idea to try to back the boat trailer down the ramp, and before getting out, shut off the engine with the selector in Park and I should be OK??? As you can see, I have no confidence in this yet....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals