• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shift linkage issues Hmmm...

FordracingBII

Reaction score
Fort Smith Montana no sales tax and nobodys trying
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Built 2.8L Weber carb, Comp Cam, Edelbrock Headers, ported heads, all synthetic oils
Transmission
Manual
OK I doing a swap from the A4ld to Yoko OhNo 5 speed.
Rig: 85 BroncoII 2.8 4x4
Donor: 84 BroncoII 2.8 4x4
This should have been an easy swap but there's little "gremlins" all along the way.
I Noticed that the linkage for the transfer case is different between the A4ld and the 5 speed, my transfer case that was attached to the a4ld is in good shape, the donor's transfer case had "shrapnel" inside....no problem I'll just use my old transfer case and bolt it to the 5 speed....easy enough....when I went to hook up the shift linkage for the transfer case I noticed (lucky) that stamped on the shifter was A4ld and on the Donor the linkage said 5 speed....whoo glad I caught that....so now Im trying to hook up the linkage to the transfer case and It won't go. The short little linkage that bolts to the transfer case (from the A4ld) is longer than the one from the donor (5speed) well....thats easy just swap them.....noooo The linkage on the 5speed transfer case isn't removeable...or is it?
Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about? :icon_confused:
this swap is driving me :icon_twisted:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
There are at least 3 different "arms" that attach to the transfer case. They can be interchanged, but one some of the cases the pin the bushing rides on face the case, and others the pin faces out towards the frame rail. Regardless, the arm itself should unbolt with a single bolt and can be exchanged.

When I did my swap, I only had one arm and I had to have an extension welded in to make it long enough.

2ranger87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ran into the same problem once. I have several 1350 t/cases laying around, and one IS from an '84 BII with the TK4 tranny. The shift arm on the transfer case itself is also not removable from the exterior ( does not have a nut like all my other ones do )

Might have to partially disassemble to swap the lever out?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I ran into the same problem once. I have several 1350 t/cases laying around, and one IS from an '84 BII with the TK4 tranny. The shift arm on the transfer case itself is also not removable from the exterior ( does not have a nut like all my other ones do )

Might have to partially disassemble to swap the lever out?
News to me, thanks for the enlightenment!:icon_thumby:

FordracingBII

Reaction score
Fort Smith Montana no sales tax and nobodys trying
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Built 2.8L Weber carb, Comp Cam, Edelbrock Headers, ported heads, all synthetic oils
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for the reply.
Instead of splitting the cases to remove the lever I just put the lever I had along side the one I couldn't remove and marked it cut and :icon_welder:it back together. It works Niiiiccce.

Now on to the next problem........geeeezzzzz

:icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals