• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shades of Blue... Time to Repaint the Ranger

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
I'm getting ready to repaint my 94 Ranger, and I was going to just redo the factory Lapis Blue. The guy that's going to paint it suggested that I change the shade of the blue slightly, said it will make a huge difference and help it stand out.
So I have a couple ideas already, trying to see what other think. I'm planning on just using a factory color off something else to keep cost down, what I have so far
2010ish Toyota Speedway Blue
2009ish Ford Blue Flame Metallic
What does TRS think?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
it will look decent if it is done right. you should post some pics of the blue vehicles you are looking at. If you are going a different color, make sure to have all teh door jambs and other edges painted as well or it will look like ass every time you open the door/hood/tailgate..

If that adds significantly to the cost, I think I would go ahead and just do teh original paint
AJ

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
If the F150 blue flame metallic is the one I'm thinking of, then do that! I don't even like blue vehicles and I've thought of painting one of my vehicles that color.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
it will look decent if it is done right. you should post some pics of the blue vehicles you are looking at. If you are going a different color, make sure to have all teh door jambs and other edges painted as well or it will look like ass every time you open the door/hood/tailgate..

If that adds significantly to the cost, I think I would go ahead and just do teh original paint
AJ
That was the idea of doing a close color blue to what it is now, won't have to do the door jambs and under the hood.
I'd post some pictures but I can't from my phone.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
keep it FORD!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Blue flame metallic for sure.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Lapis FTW

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Is he going to do the door jams and the engine compartment? Got to make it match is the best suggestion I can give you on that. Hope it turns out super!!!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you change colors I really like Kona Blue on the newer Mustangs...

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I got my 94 factory Lapis Blue painted last month from Maaco. My truck has the 2003 front fenders with the honeycomb 4wd grill,& the EDGE style powerdome hood & 2006+ mirrors. It was to be the Subaru WRX blue metallic & it turned out looking like a 2007 dark blue metallic Ranger. The paint code was correct but the mixture of the 8-10 colors that make up the correct color was incorrect. I had to wait a month before they could repaint it so its at the shop now, should have it back by Friday. I had them paint the grill & mirrors to match,but now that a month has passed I think im gonna paint the mirror brackets & honey comb grill hammered silver which is the color im painted the stinger winch mount front bumper,square tube rear bumper,ladder rack & door vent visors. I have a clear Lund bug deflector I may paint silver on the back side & the center indentation on the hood.

I looked into different colors before hand & even took color charts out of paint supply shop to vehicle to see close up of difference in colors. The Toyota Speedway blue is so close you may not even notice the difference. So my other 2 choices was Lexus Spectra Blue Mica PPG# 5437 & the Subaru rally blue pearl factory paint code # O2C also known as Subaru WRB Pearl.

I will post pics when its all back together.

Attachments

Last edited:

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
No, the plan was not to do the door jambs, just to keep cost and labor down (being done for material cost, bartering parts for it, and to promote his new shop)
I was thinking about swapping to the same nose as you 94 lngbd, how hard was it to swap?
The idea I'm trying to go with is a subtle color change, both because the door jambs, and to make it a touch different, while still being the same. Idk how to explain.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
only 1 of the holes from a 94 inner panel lines up to the 03 fenders so you will have to mark & drill new holes into fender. I didnt replace radiator core support as most arer saying needs to be done, but it would make latching the hood easier as theres no way to latch a 03 hood to the 94 core support except with turnbuckle or hood pins. I currently have a turn buckle, but once I get truck back tomorrow I plan to install Daystar hood pin kit PN#KU71104RE red in color to contrast with the blue paint.

The front fenders also was trimmed on the inside up front where the fender comes to a point between the headlight & marker light by about 3-4" to clear the 94 radiator core support. The core support also needed to be trimmed in the area that the 03 headlights & marker lights wiring needed to be. Before I leave paint shop I will be installing Brand new headlights Chrome backed & clear markers that I received on 3/13 which was my 48th B-day so it was like getting a present even though I bought it. I will take pics of core support & fenders trimmed before I install headlights

I also have Mazda 3 2.3 badges that im going to be attaching to the side of raised section of the powerdome hood near the the back corners. I scuffed them up enough for paint to adhere & painted the 2 & 3 hammerrite silver. The dot between them will be red.

My truck is our company truck so what ever I do to it needs to be a short down time for income reasons.

Today I received Axle Pivot Bushings & Radius Arm Bushings from James Duff Inc. Those will be going to be installed with in a few weeks.

I have EDGE style fender flares that will be painted hammerite silver as well, plus I bought a brand new 10,000 lbs Engo winche at a 4wd swap meet last weekend for $270 near last few hrs of swapmeet. They were selling them for $320 & reg. price is $369.

My next purchase will be 2006+ RANGER badges for tailgate & fenders & I will be having SUPER DUTY engraved under RANGER being as Im usually hauling 1500-4000 lbs on my truck. It has Firestone 3000lb airbags installed in the rear suspension set up.

Me & my wife swung by the paint shop & looked at truck. It looks awesome in Subaru Rally Blue Pearl.

I mentioned to her about painting grill & center of hood silver & she pointed out that the front bumper & bug deflector should be enough contrast, so she wins

Attachments

Last edited:

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not a Ford color but I always liked the blue that Honda painted the Preludes in the early 90's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals