• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Severe Duty Water Pump?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
anyone tried one?

I'm doing all these things to keep my 4.0 cool on the trails. I added hood vents and next is the Taurus e-fan. While doing it, I'm going to go ahead and get a new thermostat and just started wondering if I can get a high flow water pump since one of my friends just did it to his Jeep. After looking around, I found this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-58-390h/overview/year/1993/make/ford/model/explorer

Some of my local parts houses have a "severe duty" pump also. Is it worth it?

Right now my truck gets warmer than I want it to when stopped and sometimes when driving. I'm thinking I need a water pump or my fan clutch is bad. It's gonna be replaced with the e-fan anyway.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I don't have any experience with the 4.0 pump, so this may or may not be helpful to you. Below is the difference between the impellers on the regular pump and a Duralast HD pump for my Mustang. I would assume the 4.0 would be similar.

This is a factory pump, from Ford:

The Duralast HD pump, which I got for 40 dollars (price match).

I am thoroughly impressed with this pump. I was extremely skeptical because it was actually replacing an Edelbrock pump. In fairness, I did the Taurus fan at the same time. But I have nothing but good to say about this pump so far. Also, I am running under drive pulleys with it - just an FYI.

Hopefully that helps....

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I was just looking at the pics again in the link you provided. This gasket(s) looks nothing like the gasket I had on my Explorer. No idea what that other thing is either.....

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I also am curious. I was looking into the severe duty as well.

If it is all machined fancy like that pump Shane has that's impressive enough for me.lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Welp. Its in my Summit cart along with the rest of my 4.0 parts. It will be a month or so before I pull the trigger.lol

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
The gasket in that pic definitely doesn't go with that water pump. Someone in media must have screwed up and mixed up photos when they put it in the catalog. My 94 seems to have a plastic impeller..... I don't have any overheat problems sitting in traffic jams in 100 degree plus weather so I don't know if severe duty means better bearings or what. Might just be advertising to con a few more bucks out of you.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Its still cheaper than most autoparts stores.lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Idk if its worth it or just a marketing idea

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like hype to me. If you want it to flow faster take out the thermostat- which won't help cool a bit. The rad needs a chance to cool the water so it can't flow too fast through there... so what is this thing going to do for you with the thermostat in there? The factory pump should move the water sufficiently to cool the engine. It shouldn't run hot in any conditions as long as everything else is right. An older rad might be clogging up and compromise cooling, or the clutch fan running too slow, or even too much antifreeze- it needs to be 50/50 or less- any more than that and it gets too thick and you lose cooling capabilities as well. Think about it this way- if it were a new truck, would it overheat on the trails? Nope. So find out what is going wrong with the older one. That being said, if you want a new pump buy it- couldn't hurt, but something else is going wrong with your system to need one.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know I know.
I am working on fixing the issues but that doesn't mean I can't upgrade while I'm at it right? Lol.

So far I found out my radiator cap was bad but I have no system leaks. My system is staying pressurized. I've always been one of the guys that likes to use OE temp thermostats and all. So I'm wanting everything working properly before I worry about upgrades..

I just don't see the harm in upgrading if I can.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The factory also didn't plan on that engine to be turning 35s at less than 5mph for hours on end either...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Ha lol.
Lack of airflow was my biggest issue. Long slow hill climbs in 4 low boiled my coolant.
Taurus fan should take cars of that. High side for when needed and low side on a thermo switch.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Snake, I can see where you are coming from in your description. All I can tell you is I had several issues with stock replacement pumps being able to cool my car. This was going from a factory pump which cooled just fine, to a parts house standard pump, no other cooling system parts changed. It simply did not cool as well. Then I started changing other parts; radiator, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap, hoses..... still the same BS. All of this was within a few weeks time. Then I got the high flow Edelbrock pump, and all issues vanished. My conclusion? The parts house pump did not flow as well as the OEM pump did. This is a very common conclusion in the Mustang world. And quite honestly, I never felt the parts house pumps I put on my Explorer ever cooled as well as OEM.

To me, just to prevent an issue, it is worth the extra money. I think 4.0B2 is going to largely fix his issue with the Taurus fan upgrade. But based on my experience, I would say the extra insurance will pay off.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking at the picture of the two mustang pumps, it looks as the circular flat plate welded to the impellers helps block reverse flow/circular flow. My WAG; that would work better than stock.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Only thing that concerns me on the severe duty is the thickness of the impeller.

When we put a pump on the B2 we tried 3 different pumps before we found one that fit. The "New" GMB brand pumps all had a issues with the impeller hitting the bump in the timing cover, but the cheapo reman pump cleared just fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals