• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seriously considering a new tow rig....input?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I don't talk to zombies that resemble Raven's OLB Suggs.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive actually wondered why they switched myself. The old kingpin TIBs ive had (they used them till 80 or 82), never have any front end issues.
Ball joints have lower parts count/easier automated assembly.

King pin: Lower kingpin bearing seal, grease retainer, grease seal, cup, grease, cone, bearing cap and 4 nuts versus ball joint: Lower ball joint, snap ring, nut. 11 versus 3.

Top for ball joint adds a cotter key; for king pin, there are additional knuckle pin, spring retainer, spring, cone bushing, knuckle pin and shim(s). So 17+ versus 4.

Assembly of ball joints is simpler too – press in ball joints (2x), snap on rings (2x), insert onto axle knuckle, tighten nuts (2x), ease top nut off to allow insertion of cotter pin, send down line. I get 9 steps

There are 11 steps for lower kingpin and 16 for initial install of upper kingpin, then check of preload = 28 steps minimum. However in most case it will require: disassemble of the 4 bolts & cap, adjustment of shim pack, reassembly of cap and 4 bolts*, followed by confirmation of preload. + 12 steps. Repeat if you got it wrong.

* I can’t remember off hand, if the cap bolts need to be tightened in stages or not...

Add it that we need a more skilled person to do the preload check and evaluation of shim pack changes and for the assembly line, ball joints are the way to go.

Unit bearings have similar issues.

My personal F-100 has kingpins and spindles, not ball joints and unit bearings. But when I am designing at work, you will get the newer $hit - we have to send it on down the line. :thefinger:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Kingpins dont snap.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hate unit bearings even worse.

Devils walk amongst us.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Devils walk amongst us.
But wait, now they duscovered they can press everything together and not have to worry about bolting it onto the vehicle. You have to remove the knuckle, press the hub out of the bearing, press bearing out of knuckle... and then repeat in reverse for reassembly.

Did that on my wife’s edge, I haven’t replaced the wheel bearings in my ranger since 2000.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Devils walk amongst us.
Were you not aware that Jim is PC and even allowed design engineers on the forum :) Course I don't know how to take that; is being considered devil better or worse than atheist? (i.e. engineers must be atheists - no sign of intelligent design). :icon_twisted:

p.s. I don't work for Ford, so you can relax about your Ranger, but there are a number of products that you may very well use on a regular basis that I have had my hand in design of, just to scare you.

Kingpins dont snap.
The number of ball joints which snap within warranty period is far lower than the savings from ease of manufacture and assembly over kingpin that Dana won't be going back.

And post warranty repair isn't a bad thing, if you are in the replacement parts business :thefinger:

But wait, now they discovered they can press everything together and not have to worry about bolting it onto the vehicle. You have to remove the knuckle, press the hub out of the bearing, press bearing out of knuckle... and then repeat in reverse for reassembly.
Yep, saves 3 fasteners and time to install them. Progress. :icon_rofl:

Apologies Rusty for hijacking your tow rig thread.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
No worries on the hi-jack.

But ya know...i dont personally care about ease of manufacturing/assembly. I want long term, low maintence durabilty/reliabilty. Shit i can beat the hell out of day in and out, and do nothing but shoot some grease in it once every few years.

I wish engineers/designers would use that thought process. If they did i wouldnt be hanging onto my older shit like i do.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The day a semi hit me head-on was the day the music died.

I just flipped the remains of my Ranger over and salvaged the bottom parts of the Ranger. If you can service a trailer axle, you can service the front axle of an old Ranger. I've grown to like my FJ for it's crude interior and driving style, but underneath it's full of unserviceable parts, multilink suspension bits and sensors stuck in places you didn't know a truck had places. It's like an old movie redone in CGI.

My world is filled with engineers. My wife is an executive at Cummins--high horsepower, like 95 liter locomotive, ships and mining engines; my brother is a patent lawyer, and has a degree in chemical engineering; my brother in law is also a chemical engineer and has 2 other master's degrees in engineering. My father-in-law has a PhD in physics and another brother in law has a Masters in physics. Everyone I know--friends, family etc--male and female, are damn scientists or engineers. I am the stupidest person I know. And the only one of the bunch that knows how to pack bearings.

Which leads me to believe that engineers try to design stuff that people like me can't service so they can pay more to buy assembled parts to have bolted on by a monkey in coveralls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals