• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Serious ticking after running for 10-20 minutes

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello guys:D 2.9L
Just changed the headgasket and got the ranger up running again, runs damn smooth and no ticking sound but it still has the sound it did before, after driving for like 10-20 minutes it start to tick very high you can hear it really good while driving:confused: thought the headgasket change would make it bether since the lower intake gasket was blown. Fresh oil 10w40 valvoline semi synthetic. Anyone had this problem before?

227k km on it

Last edited:

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2.9l? My ticks like its using eco location

Last edited:

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Oil pressure will drop a little after warm up. It may be enough to affect your valve train. I have 300K+ on the bottom end of my 2.9, and if I let it sit for a few days it will occasionally have a loud click for a few seconds or (rarely) a few minutes. Mine sounds and acts like a collapsed lifter, but I've never had it happen after the engine has warmed up. If it's still running smooth while it's ticking, I would guess that your rocker arms aren't getting enough oil after the engine warms up (due to worn cam bearings, plugged rocker arm shaft ports, weak oil pump, etc). Or, it could just be a bad lifter.

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Oil pressure will drop a little after warm up. It may be enough to affect your valve train. I have 300K+ on the bottom end of my 2.9, and if I let it sit for a few days it will occasionally have a loud click for a few seconds or (rarely) a few minutes. Mine sounds and acts like a collapsed lifter, but I've never had it happen after the engine has warmed up. If it's still running smooth while it's ticking, I would guess that your rocker arms aren't getting enough oil after the engine warms up (due to worn cam bearings, plugged rocker arm shaft ports, weak oil pump, etc). Or, it could just be a bad lifter.
No I don't.. Haven't checked it either, is there a place you can connect to test it?
Ahaa yes i've been wondering if it could be worn out lifters.. Last night I tried to drive it a little to see how it was now, fires straight up and ticks like there is no oil to the lifters/rockers, let it stay running for 20 minutes while getting air out of the cooling system, and it stopped to tick and make the normal injektor sounds? Went out for a drive and it looks like as soon as i start to push it a little to reach 50mph it starts ticks loudly after like 25 sec and continues as far as i dare. I'm wondering if the sump could be clogged and not giving egnouth oil when it starts getting big flow? The heads had pretty much thick old oil slum everywhere..

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
2.9L are known for valve train noise due to the way they get oiled and there basic design. Maybe @rusty ol ranger would have some idea of what is going on in there that can help you.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Hello guys:D 2.9L
Just changed the headgasket and got the ranger up running again, runs damn smooth and no ticking sound but it still has the sound it did before, after driving for like 10-20 minutes it start to tick very high you can hear it really good while driving:confused: thought the headgasket change would make it bether since the lower intake gasket was blown. Fresh oil 10w40 valvoline semi synthetic. Anyone had this problem before?

227k km on it
My 2.9 ticks too.

Its what they do.

If you *really* wanna do it @PetroleumJunkie412 had luck with putting in a high volume oil pump.

Really though, its just one of those things. Usually its caused by worn cam bearings. Ive tried different additives (including liqui moly hydro lifter additive) to no avail.

Ive just learned to live with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals