• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seperator plate worn... starter keeps moving/walking away from flywheel.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
This is the state of my starter mounting. The separator plate is worn out and a bit deformed. It keeps allowing the starter to move away from the flywheel and causing it to grind and not be able to start the motor. I've read posts upon posts about how people having a similar issue and some say tighten it till it can't move anymore. Some say replace the plate. Ive tried tightening the hell out of it. It still seems to move, I've tightened it will thread locker still moves. So atm, I can't even drive my truck let alone set the timing after the duraspark mod. This is getting annoying and fucking with my depression. Like I know what the issue is but whenever I try NOTHING WORKs.
IMG_20200529_173946.jpg
IMG_20200529_173952.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on what I should try or do based on their own experience please tell me or if anyone knows or had a separator plate I WILL BUY IT!! That's if it will fix it!. I've had an idea on a bracket to make that will hold onto the top and bottom bolts and pull on them and in turn, push on the starter by push pulling the starter in place. Keeping it from moving. The only issue with that. Is that I don't know how to or own a welder to try and fabricate something like that. I'm desperate at this point!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Best idea I have isn’t easy due to the tight work area there. But. You could install the starter. Make sure it’s in the right place. Then drill a hole through the flange on the starter and bellhousing and install a roll pin. Two pins would be better.

27D6D281-7581-4F92-B03F-D6292F6D1F55.jpeg

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Best idea I have isn’t easy due to the tight work area there. But. You could install the starter. Make sure it’s in the right place. Then drill a hole through the flange on the starter and bellhousing and install a roll pin. Two pins would be better.
So you're saying to drill a hole through the starter and bell housing? Im just curious on where your talking about drilling on the starter and bell housing?

Heres a photo of the starter. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bestest-4534/charging---starting-16772/starter-11798/dad3c6651e74/bestest-starter-remanufactured/v613164a/4601419/1984/ford/ranger?pos=1

NOTE: That is NOT the starter Im using. I just picked the first link with decent photos.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Those teeth look worn down also...

It might be in your best interest to pull the trans and heli coil the holes, atleast you will have room to drill the holes properly and tap them. It sucks I know, but might as well do it right. Or its time for a 5.0 swap.....

I would replace that stud it look wore down where the ears of the starter rest.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Those teeth look worn down also...

It might be in your best interest to pull the trans and heli coil the holes, at least you will have room to drill the holes properly and tap them. It sucks I know, but might as well do it right. Or its time for a 5.0 swap.....
Id love to do the 5.0 swap but finding a 302 at a good price is hard around here.

The teeth do look worn down but thats all because of the stupid mounting design of the starter.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Id love to do the 5.0 swap but finding a 302 at a good price is hard around here.

The teeth do look worn down but thats all because of the stupid mounting design of the starter.
I edited my post before I saw you responded Try replaceing that stud it lools wore down.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
I edited my post before I saw you responded Try replaceing that stud it lools wore down.
Which stud are you talking about?

That's what a NEW flywheel looks like for reference.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
When you say stud, do you mean bolt? If so, it looks worn down because of the flash. It also had some dirt and threadlocker on it. So that might be why it looks soft.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
When you say stud, do you mean bolt? If so, it looks worn down because of the flash. It also had some dirt and threadlocker on it. So that might be why it looks soft.
Yeah, just pull the trans and replace the plate and flywheel why waste time dicking around?

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Yeah, just pull the trans and replace the plate and flywheel why waste time dicking around?
Yeah very true! The issue with that is that I cant seem to find a replacement plate anywhere. IDK if im using the right wording or not.

Thanks for the help! I might still make some sort of bracket to help it stay in place but I do need and want to find a new plate before I even do it. Since I dont wanna put a new flywheel and starter thats might just cause the same issue.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How much play is there between the bolts and the holes in the starter? I’m guessing that when the holes in the bell housing stripped, a smaller diameter through bolt was used, and that’s what is allowing the starter to move.
Fun fact: you can replace the ring gear in the flywheel, but your teeth look ok.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
How much play is there between the bolts and the holes in the starter? I’m guessing that when the holes in the bell housing stripped, a smaller diameter through-bolt was used, and that’s what is allowing the starter to move.
Fun fact: you can replace the ring gear in the flywheel, but your teeth look ok.
Thanks, Andy! The top one was done by me. I just used the same size bolt when I did the through bolt. zero play. The bottom was already there. it does have a little bit of play but it from what I've read. It seems like other people have said the bottom is smaller than the top weirdly.
The bottom is a 1/2 nut. Don't know what the bolt comes out to be but the stop is a 17mm. So yeah. Some bubba fixes have been made. The top bolt before I stripped the threads out was a 17mm. I just drilled it out to remove the threads and put a 17mm bolt through and a 17mm nut holding it on.

I had been having this issue where the starter would need to be replaced/reseated after a few weeks but now it's just gotten so bad. Like, IDK why or how it keeps moving. I've done nothing different unless when I removed all of the TFI crap is game the starter more power? IDK.
At some point ill post a photo of the starter where it SHOULD be vs where it moves. ATM, the starter is sitting on the ground. Since I was taking and posting those photos.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
So you're saying to drill a hole through the starter and bell housing? Im just curious on where your talking about drilling on the starter and bell housing?

Heres a photo of the starter. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bestest-4534/charging---starting-16772/starter-11798/dad3c6651e74/bestest-starter-remanufactured/v613164a/4601419/1984/ford/ranger?pos=1

NOTE: That is NOT the starter Im using. I just picked the first link with decent photos.
Sorry. My idea won't work. It had been a while since I saw my starter. I thought it had a flange around it instead of those wimpy little ears. I just went and looked and found out the truth.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Sorry. My idea won't work. It had been a while since I saw my starter. I thought it had a flange around it instead of those wimpy little ears. I just went and looked and found out the truth.
Yeah, I have no idea on why Ford designed the starter in this way. It's dumb. Id put 3 ears. Not 2 wimpy ones. 2 to hold it in place (ON) and one to keep it in the right position. I think they learned on the 3.0 and 4.0 starters since those have 3 ears instead of 2.

Thanks for the idea though! You through me off for a second because I didn't know what you were talking about haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals