• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

[Send help]Timing assistance 4.0 camshaft

FordFknRngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003, 2004
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Manual
So I am an inexperienced but decently well read "mechanic" and I decided to try to change the timing system on a 220k 2003 v6 4.0. (my first one ever)

It was in pieces in my oil pickup and cylinder head. Got everything removed, watched the Cloyes video for changing out the timing system, and using some generic timing toolkit off amazon.

My kit ended up not coming with the TTY bolts, so I had to stop. I did a token tightening of the old TTY on the rear jackshaft, and moved on.

At some point changing out the front sprockets, my left bank camshaft somehow became what I am 99% sure is out of time. The shaft was rotated so that the cam lock markers are out of position, nearly vertical, while the right bank lock markers are locked, basically horizontally in position. I definitely removed the lock tool originally from the left bank and it was in horizontal position.

I want to relock the left bank so I can do the TTY 15 + 90 with the new rear jackshaft bolt.

Am I screwed here, or am I stupid and missing something?

If I am screwed, how do I unscrew? I cannot rotate the cam. I tried with a pry bar and did some damage to the cam lock cut already. (I removed the tensioner and sprocket from the cam before trying)

EDIT: I pulled the camshaft caps off, and I am for some reason unable to get the camshaft to properly sit with the lock cut perfectly parallel with the block.

One of the lobes is interfering all of a sudden. I can't figure out what the hell is going on....

EDIT AGAIN: Alright so after some tedium I figured out that one of my roller followers was falling off, and when I was trying to tighten down, I couldn't get a good, easy seat.

So my fix for everything was to pull the cam caps, adjust the cam to TDC, put the cam lock in while cam was not fully bolted, bolt camlock tool to engine, torque down caps to specs, and reinstall the sprocket.

Still really not sure how I got here (the cam rotating), but glad it's over. Documenting my idiocy for future generations

Last edited:

Madman54

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stop skipping steps and get it done right the first time.
its all part of the learning process...
hopefully for the future, you will remember this experience. when a part or piece wont go in easily, it's usually because something is wrong. either misaligned somewhere or just in the wrong place. because its menufactured to go in easy enough that the average person can do it, in most cases.

that advice assumes that everything is clean and free of debris and parts being installed and parts they install too are within manufacturers spec. that being said.... sometimes things are just tuff. equally so when its the first time youve ever done it. I always suggest that people in your situation sit down and watch a few youtube videos of someone doing the job you are doing. if they can do it easy so can you (in most cases). if they can do it easy and you cant, its time to step back and take a look at what might be holding you up.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
Fordtechmakuloco on YouTube has a thorough video on your engine. Not the only tutorial but the best one I could find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals