• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Semi or Full Synthetic

Bogdon

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
16000 miles on my 2008 ranger 2.3l. Tired of paying the dealer for oil changes and as far as I have been told doing my own oil changes will not void any warranty as long as I can prove they were done on time.

Owners manual calls for 5w-20 semi synthetic. I installed Mobile full synthetic a week ago. Now the truck seems to run quieter, has more power, and idols much smoother. Can anyone share a reason why I should not be running a full synthetic oil in this engine before I have to tell the dealership I am doing it?

Thanks in advance for the input.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Won't hurt a thing.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The owner's manual just suggests semi-synthetic, it doesn't require it. Semi-syn is basically nothing more than a high-quality conventional oil anyway. As long as the oil meets Ford's requirements (meets API SM, and Ford MSC-something) it's fine. Furthermore, even if you used a non-approved oil, the dealer has to be able to prove that the unapproved oil caused the damage before they can deny warranty coverage.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
I would think it would be cheaper and save you time just having the dealer do it unless your dealer rips people off because its only like $19.95 for an oil change and I guess a tire rotation for what they tell me I'll have to see when I take it in for the first oil change at 5k.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
Read the owners manual. See what oil range is required, use that oil. If it requires 5W-20 then it doesn't matter how much synthetic stuff is in there.

You are not going to notice a change in engine performance fro an oil change. Unless you go from 50W deisel grade oil to a 10W racing oil, and even then you probably won't notice it.

Uncle Stumps

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was doing the same thing as the OP, going to the Ford dealer every 3,000 miles for oil changes. Once I reached 15,000 miles I started doing my own, with Mobil 1 5W-20 and MotorCraft filters every 5,000 miles. Mobil 1 is pretty expensive nowadays, but I intend to keep the Ranger until it dies so maybe this will help it to have a long life.

Bogdon

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I would think it would be cheaper and save you time just having the dealer do it unless your dealer rips people off because its only like $19.95 for an oil change and I guess a tire rotation for what they tell me I'll have to see when I take it in for the first oil change at 5k.
Last oil change by the dealer was $147(CAD) after the taxes. Even the quick change places around here (Toronto) are at about $70 for a basic oil change and filter using semi-synthetic. the days of $20 oil changes are a long long long time ago. Hell the filter alone is like $10 at Partsource or Napa

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Wow. You can definitely still pick up oil changes around here for $20. That's crazy.

Sidewalk

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fiesta
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
185/55-15
My credo
#DontFollowJosh
$20 is hard to find around here, but not impossible. What is the current exchange rate?

Wal-Mart has oil filters for $2, Rotella for $15 a gallon. Works for me.

wv_snranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l V8
Transmission
Automatic
27.99 for oil change and a filter at the drive-thru oil change in town. Pennzoil 5w-20 oil. The nearest Ford dealership wants 40 bucks and they are 20 miles away.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
penzoil is about the worst oil you can buy, leaves a lot of sludge build up

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
penzoil is about the worst oil you can buy, leaves a lot of sludge build up
No it's not, and no, it doesn't. This is a very common myth that originated in the 1970s, when 10w-40 oil first came around. Back then, 10w40 (and ONLY 10w40, not the other viscosities) Pennzoil sludged up due to the amount of viscosity index improvers in it. It has been reformulated dozens of times(along with EVERY oil from EVERY manufacturer) since then. So take any oil myth/rumor that started 10+ years ago and forget it already. It's no longer valid.

Dar70

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ford sends me a coupon everytime my change is due.

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
Read the owners manual. See what oil range is required, use that oil. If it requires 5W-20 then it doesn't matter how much synthetic stuff is in there.

You are not going to notice a change in engine performance fro an oil change. Unless you go from 50W deisel grade oil to a 10W racing oil, and even then you probably won't notice it.
i beg to differ ont hat one there buddy. switching fomr a conventinal or semi-conventional oil to full synthetic oil will give you a smoother running engine. i switched mine at 150000 miles and the difference in the engine vibration is night and day. synthetic does a better job all around and stands up better to breaking down and thermal protection. that why you change regular oil every 3000 and synthetic every 5000, 10000, 7500 or 15000. synthetic oil IS that good!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals