• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Self adjuster setup?

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have the proper tools, the springs came on and off a few times and were on the floor. One of the adjusters was tight, but the other was not. Both greased and turning freely now. If that lever is supposed to sit below the wheel then that's my problem. But no way it will do that.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Well you can manually adjust them out...

That lever will drop as the shoes become closer to proper adjustment.

The shoes will come closer to the anchor pin too. If you don't get the shoes to the anchor pin... they will never be right.

Right now the park brake strut is holding the shoes away from the anchor.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well you asked if the shoes can stay in place... they can... but you would have to release the return springs from the anchor pin to put the cable behind the return springs. Houdini not required.

They are also assembled wrong in your picture... the cable is behind the anchor pin plate (first picture). It should go anchor pin plate... self adjusting cable... then return springs. Trust me on not having to take shoes off to replace cable. Pop those springs off the anchor pin and switch stuff around... shoes never come off the backing plate.

The brake shoes should be pulled tight to the anchor pin... they are not. This will certainly give you a low pedal. Looks to me like they need to be adjusted tighter and it may fix the gap between the anchor pin and the shoes.
Ok, even with that assembled wrong though, you think that would be the difference in the lever riding that high? Keep in mind that that was the before pic, I don't think I had that much gap when I reinstalled, and the drums are pretty tight with the new shoes.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well you can manually adjust them out...

That lever will drop as the shoes become closer to proper adjustment.

The shoes will come closer to the anchor pin too. If you don't get the shoes to the anchor pin... they will never be right.

Right now the park brake strut is holding the shoes away from the anchor.
Gotcha. Didn't manually adjust because the drums are already tight, but if the shoes aren't against the pin then that would explain it. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Right.... with the shoes out from the pin... the drum will be tight. But if the shoes aren't on the pin... the pedal is typically low and spongy. They won't ever be right until that gets corrected.

These rear brakes have enough problems when done right.

If you can't get the shoes back to the pin with shoe adjustment... you will have to adjust the park brake.

Take pictures.

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok, went back in there today. Tried to get the cable on the correct side of the anchor pin plate...and it was seized to the anchor pin. Same thing on the other side. I managed to get it loose and in the right order, and the adjuster lever dropped a bit. Loosening the cable let the eye slide a bit on the pin, and pivot enough to give it just enough slack. Still doesn't spring back to the bottom with a lot of gusto, but if I push it down, or wiggle things until it drops, it then engages the wheel when I pull the cable. Brakes still don't engage super quickly, and the drum still felt tight going on, but we'll see if that changes after driving a bit. I'm going to take an IR thermometer after a drive to make sure they're not too tight. After pics attached, thanks for the help.
IMG_20210415_095507_stock.jpgIMG_20210415_102451_stock.jpg

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Spin the start wheel to expand the shoes then try to put on drum, should barely go on, i.e. will be rubbing a bit, this also Centers the shoes/parts, but not to tight, should slide on and off..........assuming no ridge on drum

nola mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
There's definitely a ridge on the drum. I wire wheeled it but didn't get too aggressive.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That looks way better... can't see if the shoes are up against the anchor pin... but they have to be to work properly.

Before you put the drums on... take a pair of pliers and squeeze the park brake lever horseshoe clip closed on both sides. If that falls off... and it looks like it could... it will ruin your day and your brakes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If there is a ridge on the edge then at some point in the past the drums were metal on metal with shoes
Get new drums, even from a wrecking yard, as long as they don't have the ridge they are fine to use

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals