• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Secret Method of Cleaning Aluminum Parts?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A machine shop here got my lower intake spotless. But it will eventually get dirty again.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
After you get them clean enough to your satisfaction and you want them to STAY reasonably clean...

CLEAR engine enamel works for a natural look.

However aluminum wheel paint can do a really nice job.

Stick to basic "Bright aluminum".

I painted my transmission case with aluminum wheel paint AFTER I sand blasted it.

Dirt doesn't stick as well to paint as it does to bare usually corroded metal.

AD

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You need a dremel with a polishing brush and some brasso.

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Scrub with simple green, then polish with either Nev-r-dull, which is like cotton wadding with Polish in it, or to make it really shine use Flitz metal polish. It's really expensive, but makes aluminum shine like chrome.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Two words:

Westley's Bleche-Wite.

Okay, two and a half words.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
LT265/75/R16
I tried a combination of things at work yesterday (while on my lunch break of course!) and found a few remedies that seemed to work quite well. For my alternator, I used a small amount of strong degreaser (I'm not sure what kind it is because it comes from a giant tank at work) and a very still wire brush. I would spray it on very lightly, let it set for a minute or two and then scrub like hell and it seemed to clean all the grit and grime out of the little crevices pretty well.

For my idler pulley and tensioner bracket, I could blast it with whatever concoction I could fathom without the worry of it not working properly. I combined some wheel acid and degreaser in a bucket and let it soak for a bit and then hit it with the wire brush. Looked really good.

For the upper and lower intakes, I was a bit more cautious. I took the injectors out and soaked them in some fuel injector cleaner. The lower intake got scrubbed in the solvent tank, which did a lot better than I thought, but it destroyed my fingers. They are so dried out that they look like a 90 year old's skin! As for the upper intake, I used a combination of all 3. Looks pretty darn good but I wish I could get it back to showroom new. Oh well, after all, it does have 174,000 miles! Thanks everyone!

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
+2 on the Simple Green. Awesome stuff AND non-toxic to boot!

The only hitch is, Simple Green (along with most oven cleaners) can actually attack aluminum. This can cause the parts to become brittle and eventually fail.

Test ANY cleaner you use on a small area of your parts first. Look for discoloration.

Oh and another thing, DO NOT PUT YOUR ALTERNATOR NEAR A SOLVENT TANK. Some alt's utilize enamel-coated wiring for the coils inside. Some solvents will eat the enamel away and you're left wondering why the dang thing don't work no more.

Engine degreasers, scotch-brite pads, and lots of elbow grease are often your safest bet.

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
+2 on the Simple Green. Awesome stuff AND non-toxic to boot!

The only hitch is, Simple Green ... can actually attack aluminum. This can cause the parts to become brittle and eventually fail.
NO, it does not, never has, never will. If it did, we wouldn't have used it to de-soot aluminum wing members on KC-135s. Or fuselage skin. Or any of the THOUSANDS of parts on a jet.

Every bit of it - ALUMINUM.

Where does this blatant CRAP get its start?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
NO, it does not, never has, never will. If it did, we wouldn't have used it to de-soot aluminum wing members on KC-135s. Or fuselage skin. Or any of the THOUSANDS of parts on a jet.

Every bit of it - ALUMINUM.

I've used Simple Green on tons of aluminum stuff, I've never heard or seen this. Actually it was recommended by most of the boaters I knew, and I know there's a lot of aluminum on their stuff.

drag68bird

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've used Simple Green on tons of aluminum stuff, I've never heard or seen this. Actually it was recommended by most of the boaters I knew, and I know there's a lot of aluminum on their stuff.
Boaters (like me), use & recommend Simple Green because it is 100% biodegradable, & safe to use around wildlife.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Jesus chill out man. I was trying to give advice, not advocate rudeness.

As far as the bit about aluminum goes, how about this snippet direct from Simple Green's website? URL: http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Notice I didn't say, "OMG DON'T USE SIMPLE GREEN ON ALUMINUM!!!11! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR VALVE COVERS!!" I've successfully used it on aluminum with no trouble bit I also was using a lot of water to rinse the area to help me check progress.

I don't mean to sound rude myself but referring to my post as crap isn't good manners.

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used Super Clean and water rinse and my intake was CLEAN, now dirty again as I didn't protect it with a sealer or paint..... Make sure to wear gloves though. It eats oil and grease regardless of where it is, like your skin, trust me. Also, don't leave it in a parts washer. I now have no paint from the pump down in mine. :annoyed:

Ranger Dave (B25)

U.S. Military - Veteran
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'10
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Don't vote Democrat.
Jesus chill out man. I was trying to give advice, not advocate rudeness.

As far as the bit about aluminum goes, how about this snippet direct from Simple Green's website? URL: http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Notice I didn't say, "OMG DON'T USE SIMPLE GREEN ON ALUMINUM!!!11! IT WILL DESTROY YOUR VALVE COVERS!!" I've successfully used it on aluminum with no trouble bit I also was using a lot of water to rinse the area to help me check progress.

I don't mean to sound rude myself but referring to my post as crap isn't good manners.
I didn't call your post crap. I called the idea crap, because it is.

Do you leave any other heavy-duty cleaner on aluminum for 10 minutes or more? Of course not. So why would you do it with SG?

If one uses it like one has a brain in one's head (notice I did NOT say 'you') and it won't hurt a thing. Just like it never, ever has with me, or anyone I've ever used it with.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger Dave, I re-read my reply to your post. I didn't mean to be quite as sensitive about it as I was. I apologize to you and the OP. I think we're both essentially saying the same thing :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals