• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Second Hello From Washington!

aball4620

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Long time reader, first time poster. TRS has been such a valuable trove of info for me over the last couple years I haven't actually needed to post any new threads until now! Picked up an '88 dual tank supercab in great shape a couple years ago. Engine looked great, drove great for a 30 year old truck, and the guy who sold it to me was a Ford RV mechanic. Sounds great! Until the next morning when I blew a fuel line because he had the clips installed incorrectly. Thus began my "oh no, you're not buying a project with this truck!" project that has lasted for a couple years. Love the truck and ready to finally work out the last couple gremlins!

Attachments

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Welcome! Nice looking truck!
I had a similar issue with my 98 when I got it about 16 years ago. Bought it from a Ford dealer as a one owner trade in. Really clean inside and out with about 60k on it. Found out a few years later that the original owner had changed the fuel filter. Sounds harmless but they installed it backwards and the connector was screwed up in the process. Found that out quite a while after the short warranty period ran out. Finally had to cut off the filter and the one connector and install new ones after a while. One of these years I'll fix it right and put on the OE tank to filter fuel line (that I have on the Ford shelf in my garage).

aball4620

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome! Nice looking truck!
I had a similar issue with my 98 when I got it about 16 years ago. Bought it from a Ford dealer as a one owner trade in. Really clean inside and out with about 60k on it. Found out a few years later that the original owner had changed the fuel filter. Sounds harmless but they installed it backwards and the connector was screwed up in the process. Found that out quite a while after the short warranty period ran out. Finally had to cut off the filter and the one connector and install new ones after a while. One of these years I'll fix it right and put on the OE tank to filter fuel line (that I have on the Ford shelf in my garage).

Wouldn't it be nice if that was the only thing he did incorrectly :) I did discover that the tank selector had seized up and was putting a ton of back pressure on the return line, but that didn't come to a head until recently.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals