• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat Swap. 1989 to 2000 Ranger

crowneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got two Rangers. My old one is an 1989 x cab and I've got a 2000 x cab. Will the 89 bucket seats bolt right into the 2000? The 2000 has the split seats and the guy who owned the truck was a slob. I love my 89 seats and want to put them into the 2000. After I finish scavenging any parts, I'm selling the 89.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've got two Rangers. My old one is an 1989 x cab and I've got a 2000 x cab. Will the 89 bucket seats bolt right into the 2000? The 2000 has the split seats and the guy who owned the truck was a slob. I love my 89 seats and want to put them into the 2000. After I finish scavenging any parts, I'm selling the 89.
Suggest you check the tech articles:

http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/interior-and-interior-electronics/

There's always a lot of interest in swapping seats. Based on what I've read, you have at least a chance of bolting your 89 seats onto the 2000 seat-tracks (of course any power stuff that's built ino the lower seat tracks gets left behind or acquired with the new set.

My direct knowledge is of the older stuff, and I can tell you you have 0 chance of unbolting the 89 seats with their original tracks and dropping them into the 2000.

Ranger floorplans were the same in the gen 1s (up to 1988) and gen 2s (1989-92). Starting in 1993 (gen 3s), a metal hump was inserted crossways across the cab, where the front of the seat brackets bolted into, instead of into the floor like on the older rangers. I was able to drill out the spotwelds on a 1994 (or 4?) supercab, hump, and ren=move it and the seats and use the seats as templates to weld the hump into my 91 supercab and mount the 93 seats in the 91. This of course involved removing the carper in both vehicles, among some other stuff.

Not sure if the floorplan changed again between 1993 and 2000. Also the seatbelts may or may not be something that will marry up between 1989 and 200 (one more reason to use your 2000 seat tracks, if you can.

Good luck!

Last edited:

crowneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Split bench seat

My 89 are bucket seats, while the 2000 are the split bench. I suppose that pretty much rules out using the old seat tracks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Looks like I'll be buying some decent seat covers. Yuck! The 89 seats are awesome. The 2000 seats are awful.

Last edited:

crowneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do you know how many years use the same seat as the 2000 ford ranger? I might try to find a good one in a junk yard.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 89 are bucket seats, while the 2000 are the split bench. I suppose that pretty much rules out using the old seat tracks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Looks like I'll be buying some decent seat covers. Yuck! The 89 seats are awesome. The 2000 seats are awful.
On older ranger vehicles, my impression was that the bucket and split bench tracks bolted to the seats in the same way, and that you could use either under buckets. (One-piece bench seats, of course have a different setup).

I did get the impression that, at some point seats were getting welded to the lower tracks, making this sort of swap impossible (or at least not easy). But again my impression was this was later on than 2000.

The tech article I gave the link for above indicates all manner of Ford seats that can be married to Ranger tracks. As I said before, newer rangers are out of my direct experience, but I am quite sure someone will stop by with some helpful advice.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have seats out of an '05 in my '86, and I had '04 seats in a '96 at one point. The newer seats were out of extended cabs and went into single cab trucks. I had to do significant modifications to make the older seat tracks work. Newer tracks are not welded on, but are riveted on and the rivets will have to be ground off.

Seat belts are also different - late model trucks have the clip mechanism attached to the seat and your current belts won't latch into it. So you have to swap those too or keep the belts with the truck.

I'm surprised you like the older seats, I like the newer ones a lot. Maybe my old ones were just worn down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals