• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat foam for '88 60/40

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So far, looking at all of the interior suppliers out there, "seat upholstery kits" say nothing about seat foam, and none of the websites actually list the foam sets. The driver's side seat base foam of the 60/40 XLT seat in our truck is worn to practically nothing. There is pretty much a hole under the upholstery that you sink in to unless you throw a pillow down on the seat... which is what my wife's uncle did. The upholstery just really needs to be cleaned, but the foam needs to be replaced. Anyone have any idea where that can be found, or does this have to be carved out of a foam stack by the owner/builder? Can't be any worse than a motorcycle seat, but larger, right. (laughing nervously)

Truth is. If I can't find it, or all else fails... I have a pair of Corbeau LG1 seats that I had in my Jeep. Took them out because they are not exactly the best design for sliding in/out of a lifted Jeep with. I listed them several times on craigslist and marketplace, but only a couple of nigerian or saudi princes were interested in them, but only if I could accept a cashier's check and ship them immediately. So... they're still here. Only catch is, I kinda like the 60/40 with the "option" of cramming both my youngin's in there with me. Wife feels the same. She likes the idea of having that third seatbelt.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
OE seat foam is still available for the 2006-2009 Ranger 60/40 seats. Just google up Ford Ranger Seat Foam.
Don't know if it will help, but the later model foam just might fit your 1988. They have pic;s so you might be able to determine it it will work.
Really not that expensive.
Other recourse is to just take the seat to an automotive re-upholster and have old foam replaced.
Grumpaw

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sea foam is just seat foam without the "T".

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would just use an old cushion's foam and cut/carve it to fit right. But im a cheapskate and will always go the cheap route. It called being resourceful 😉

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would just use an old cushion's foam and cut/carve it to fit right. But im a cheapskate and will always go the cheap route. It called being resourceful 😉
I, too like to live dangerously..... Yea. I'm a cheapskate. I will have to pull the seat out to have a look at it. I've run out of time on this little "vacation" I've had from work. When time presents itself, I'll try and pull it out. Not sure what sort of shape the seat frame is in, either, but there is some rust falling out of the seat onto the carpet. I'll post up what I find.

Thanks for the tips.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sea foam sea foam sea foam. Its foamy from the sea! The foamiest foam for foaming the sea! Can't you sea! Foam foam foam! Sea foam!

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Probably no surprise to any of you (nor myself after getting a look at it), the seat PADDING is actually in pretty good shape. The cave-in is due to the support wires on the base of the seat being rusted/broken. That is something that I can actually fix on my own. I got the seat tracks freed up with copious amounts of PB Blaster. Hopefully the bolts will come out ok. The seat frame is in bad shape. really bad rust on the mounts.... I didn't study them too much because of the time (off work early at 3am), but they look like flat stock that's formed and welded. Shouldn't be too difficult.

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Took the driver's seat out this evening. Turns out, the foam is ok. Has a couple of spots where the wires cut into the foam. The wire supports are what came apart... well... rusted apart.

I took the sliders/mounts off of the seat frame. They're soaking in rust remover right now. One of the mounting tabs is pretty ate up with rust. I might look tomorrow to see if I have anything worth making a new plate out of. If not, I should have a little bit of sheet metal in the shop that I can use to help add some beef to what's left. Maybe. Will see about that tomorrow.

I got the frame cleaned up a little.

Since that was taken, I sprayed the bad spots with some rust inhibiting primer. I'll paint the frame tomorrow along with the mounts.

With all the things that have gone on lately, we're running pretty slim in the spare change department. The wife has had me to promise not to spend any money for a few weeks. So, I will be making whatever I make for a seat spring/base/support thingy tomorrow afternoon from whatever I find/make in the shop. I already have a couple of ideas... some better than others.

With the cuts in the foam from the wires, I think I'm going to try and dig up some heavy material to keep it all together.

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
My temporary... but better than it was... fix.

That rope is rated for 300 pounds.... So it's not going anywhere. With the cardboard, the foam will "see" a flat surface and keep the rope from digging into the already cut up foam. Sits better than it did, for sure. The mounting feet for the seat were primed and painted to prevent further decay. No time in my life for a restoration or anything. Just keeping it together.

Thought I'd share this. The temp fix could end up permanent. Who knows. If it doesn't hold up, I'll let you all know.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I just went through this on my '97 F350, every other full size truck has seat foam and frames available but not the OBS for whatever reason... I found some posts on forums mentioning just this on the seats and they used carpet pad on top of the wires to refresh things, two layers, it's $5/foot at Lowes/Home Depot, I got 3' and have lots left. When I tore into mine I found one spring pulled through the sheet metal and the front wire was broken off, the other three springs were hanging on by threads... I replaced the front wire with some 1/8" music wire with heat shrink over it to keep the smaller wires from sliding and added an extra spring in the middle. I used some contact cement to glue the foam back together where the wire wore through and so forth.

My tailbone is still sitting on the rear frame, so I need to do the same treatment to the seat back to push me forward some...

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
AAhhh... music wire, as in guitar string? Man, I should have thought of that. I have a full set of strings in my closet. I have a couple of acoustics, but after breaking some fingers at work, I've had a hard time trying to learn.... LOL....

What I thought about was using one of the antenna rods I have in my shop, but for some reason I could NOT convince myself to cut one up. Then I was going to use one or two coat hangars.... but then when the rope popped into my head, I decided that was the way to go. For now at least. One thing I could do in addition to this would be to run some wire to the front of the seat frame to the lead loop in the rope. That would add a little more support at the front of the seat behind the knees.... but, I'm 5-10 and even with the seats all the way back, my thighs don't really rest on the seats much anyway.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
no, music wire as that's what they call it :), I think for piano's and stuff, it's spring steel, it is used extensively in RC airplanes for linkages and landing gear so is available in hobby shops in 3' sections in various diameters, I've seen the racks in hardware stores, the racks usually have a "K&S" on front, about 4' tall and about 18" wide and 1' deep

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Not familiar with it. built a RC plane a few years back. Nothing springy in the controls rods. The suspension, while springy, was nothing I'd consider musical. LOL.... But hey.....

That rope might by under there for a few years. I went for a ride this evening with my daughter. Good thing, I had to come back for a screwdriver to aim the headlights. Man what a difference when that meager little bit of light is actually where its needed. The seat felt great. Went over some not-so-good roads. The seat gave way in a natural way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals