• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat belt fix/replacement?

Kim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Looking for ideas about my wonky seat belts. I'll have to assume a belt replacement is needed, because a "fix" I've read about before didn't do anything to help, so here goes:

My seat belts don't want to retract themselves back up and in, and are always just laying there getting shut in the door. I can help them go back in manually when I exit the truck but that's not how they're supposed to work. Also, while driving the belts will lock nearly every time I need to lean forward to reach the heater controls. I have to make 3-4 attempts to lean forward to do anything like that before I'm allowed to do so. This is a 2001 Ranger with 145k miles, so I suppose replacing the seat belt assembly is the best bet but ideas are welcome. Are these still available from somewhere? Thanks!

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I used Safety Restore (https://www.safetyrestore.com/) to refurbish the front seatbelts and retractors in my 2002 Ranger. I was very pleased with the results.

To do this, I actually bought a spare set of front seatbelts from a junker and had them rebuilt so I could still drive the truck while waiting for fresh seatbelts - though Safety Restore is very fast with this.

I still have the original front seatbelts (left and right) and retractors from my 2002 if you need a spare set. They are yours for the shipping. Just send me a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kim

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I came across this video the other day and I've been wanting to try it. I have the same problem with the seat belts that don't retract on their own, although mine don't lock up easily like yours do. Anyway, this seems like it's worth a try to me, it's not expensive or difficult so if it doesn't work out in the end it doesn't seem like much of a waste.

Kim

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks! The "clean the belts" idea was the "fix" I previously tried that didn't work for me. However, that was on my previous Ranger and also a Thunderbird....couldn't hurt to try again on my current Ranger I suppose.
Still.....that wouldn't help the over-zealous lockup. Thanks for the offer, Mikklestuff. Let me check this out a bit before I get in touch with you. :cool:

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Kim,

I have been lucky. I've had 2 sets lock up on me so far. I have been able to get replacements from the wrecking yard but I have also repaired a set, though it was a SUPERpain.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I'm the original owner, and my '99 has had lame retraction--only the driver's side--pretty much since new. There was a recall, but I failed to heed that one (too busy with the Infamous Exploding Firestone recall, and the Wonky Random Windshield Wiper recall)... I've just acquired the now-subconscious habit of snugging it by hand at every stop light.

OTOH, being a fundamental SAFETY issue, is FoMoCo obligated to fix it, this late in the game??? :unsure:

Also, I've avoided crashing for 22 years, which has worked well, so I'm going to stay on that plan, regardless. 💪

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don’t think recalls have an expiration date. I wouldn’t hurt to give the dealer a call and verify.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I don’t think recalls have an expiration date. I wouldn’t hurt to give the dealer a call and verify.
It's correct that safety and emissions recalls don't expire.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I looked into this with my mustang, it seems to be a common issue with fords of this era, and it seemed to be a issue with the springs loosing tension over time. I found suggestions online to open up the assembly and wind the spring up a few more turns to help.

As a note, I never tried this, just never got around to it, so I can not confirm how well it works.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Well I ain't tearing into it--esp. since it's a DOT-Safety thaaang--if FoMoCo is on the hook... will report back...

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well NHTSA.gov says even safety recalls expire after 15 years, so I missed that boat...

... AND the .gov website (INcorrectly) lists only 11 total recalls for 1999 Rangers (even when I enter my VIN), and the seat-belt retraction issue is not listed... how I KNOW this is INcomplete is they don't even list the "zombie" interval wiper issue, and I have the paperwork from having that one fixed... idjits.

... OTOH, the .gov website is run by... government employees so what else should we expect?

BOTTOM LINE: I'll hit up a Ford dealership, and report back at how much they laugh in my face.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals