• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Searching for 2.9 casting numbers

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Hey all, this is a bit of a research.... thing

Needing some of the casting codes from 2.9 engines. There's four I'm particularly interested in, along with if your block has the NPT plugs in the back near pistons 3 and 6.

The codes I'm looking for specifically are:

the part number (driver side between 5 and 6)

front tattoo directly behind timing coverr, driver side

GIant letter stamp on passenger side by dizzy hole, and casting number on bottom passenger side, directly above oil pan

NPT plugs look like this:

DSC_0006.JPG

Right behind freeze plug, far right. Both sides of mine have it.

Needing info as I'm starting my rebuild within the next few weeks (machine shop has a two week backlog).

Rumor has it that ranger blocks are 86tm/89tm and euro/scorpio is 87tm. My engine is an 87tm, so trying to figure out if this is a true thing. Merkur guys are telling me that the main bearings in Merkur VS ranger are different. Would like to not have to learn that one the hard way ?

Oh, and if you could include the year, type, and which assembly yours was built at, that would be extremely helpful.

This one is a 1988 truck, built November 1987, cast July 1987, Kentucky assembly, 4wd x cab.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@PetroleumJunkie412
I don't think you have anything to worry about (...every day I worry all day...:)). I don't know about the original 2.9 in my '87 Ranger (the exhaust manifold is probably hiding the drivers side number), but the block I'm going to rebuild appears to be an 87TM also. It had an EGR on it when I bought it, and I was told it was an '87.

I know Rock Auto is no authority on this type of thing, but they are showing the same bearings for the Mercur 2.9 and Ford 2.9.

20200225_162534.jpg
20200225_164753.jpg
20200225_164818.jpg
20200225_164858.jpg
20200225_165042.jpg

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Freaking love you!!

Did you rebuild yours, or swap for another??

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Freaking love you!!

Did you rebuild yours, or swap for another??
I'm still using the original motor (minus heads) in my Ranger. I bought another engine to temporarily swap while I rebuilt the original block. But I soon discovered that I had been lied to regarding the condition of the 2.9 I bought. I took those pics when I got home from work today, so I need to get it to the machine shop. Though, I have considered trying to find a short block from a reputable shop, as I already have new heads that I bought from J&C a year ago.

I've had very little ticking from mine, so after hearing all the bad things about ticking 2.9's I'm still a little paranoid about rebuilding a different block.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals