• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Seafoam

martinglen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just wanted to get some opinions on using seafoam in the crankcase. Mainly if it's safe and does it work. I have a 97 with 198,000 miles.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I like seafoam for use in the fuel tank, and to spray down the intake once in a while for carbon cleaning. I don't use it in the crankcase. If you do regular oil changes its simply not necessary. If the truck is used and the engine a little gummed up there are better products to flush the oil like bk44, but it's made for a flush, not to actually leave in the oil.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It thins out the oil to some extent. I think I remember reading that you only run it in the oil for short periods of time, right before an oil change. I've had good luck freeing up stuck lifters by running up to a quart of diesel fuel in the oil and just letting it idle for half an hour or so, then changing the oil... But only because I had nothing to lose on a junk engine. A good quality oil and timely changes should negate any need to run additives in the oil at all.

martinglen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your response. I'm having a cylinder 3 misfire. I've tried everything possible to fix it. I figured I might try the seafoam thinking maybe carbon build-up on the.piston or valves.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Thanks for your response. I'm having a cylinder 3 misfire. I've tried everything possible to fix it. I figured I might try the seafoam thinking maybe carbon build-up on the.piston or valves.
Not the way to go about this. First to fix an issue like you describe (carbon buildup) you would have to use seafoam sprayed through the intake or sucked into a vacuum line, not poured into the crankcase. Second, if the cylinder is not firing the seafoam wouldn't really do anything because it relies on it being turned to steam by the cylinders heat to bust up the carbon. Seafoam in the oil might free up a stuck lifter that could cause a miss, but your engine doesn't have lifters.

You should confirm the problem first by going through the basics, check spark on #3, check compression wet and dry, and test the injector.

I highly doubt seafoam or any chemical is gonna fix or diagnose the issue here. I've never found any chemicals or additives that can work miracles. Sure some are great for maintenance but they never really "fix" anything once it's broke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals