• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seafoam Danger!

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to offer some information I got from my brother who worked for AutoZone (and now O’Reilly’s) as a commercial parts driver.
He talked to a few professional mechanics that performed the Seafoam cleaning by adding it directly to the intake manifold via vacuum hose. A few said they hydro-locked the engine after the engine sucked up most of the can within seconds. A Cadillac mechanic actually destroyed a Northstar by doing this (broke a rod).
Coincidentally my brother had a similar mishap with his Camaro. Once the SF liquid got into his engine, it stopped (locked-up). After trying to restart, he broke the starter drive since the engine was locked! Luckily, only a starter replacement was necessary.
Bottom Line? If you attempt, Please do so slowly with caution. I did this to my Ranger by dripping the liquid into a vacuum fitting at the front of the engine using a large plastic lab pipette (“eyedropper”).
You can find the typical procedure on the net, but most sites do not warn of the potential disasters that await if done too quickly.
I hope this will prevent one of us from destroying our engine!

DCarey515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It tells you on the can to do it slowly............:icon_twisted:

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
Who ever reads directions? The only time most people read the directions is after the fact, you know..... When it did not work, or in this case the motor stopped and the can is empty.

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The point is that the contents of the can may be sucked so quickly that many ounces of liquid may be drawn into the cylinders.
Literaure on the cleaning does not really say how this can be prevented. Every engine is different, places to add the SF different, etc., so a blanket procedure is not possible.
You may think you are doing it slowly, but within in a few seconds, the damage can be done!

Crunchy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I always hold my finger over the vaccum line - in other words, be a human regulator.

Wasn't there some guy who poured the foam into his intake with the engine off and then tried to crank it?

DCarey515

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
probably that Cadillac mechanic..............

240cubes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'00 '96 '89 '88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 5.7 2.9
Transmission
Manual
i put it in via the vaacum hose on all of my vehicles and ive never had any problems...

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use water. Cheaper, no damage, and does a better job.:)shady

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i did it once, on the vacuum line i put a lawn mower inline fuel shutoff and cocked it a hair, if the engine slowed i closed the valve and once it picked up again i eased it open and let it take some more. basically i just cracked the valve and it did fine.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're only supposed to use 1/3 of the can through the vacuum. I used the PCV valve and it took about 5 minutes to suck in a coffee cup worth without dying.

When we changed my spark plugs and oil I put an ENTIRE can of intake cleaner into the manifold while the truck was off (woops). The truck was seized. I was worried. My mechanic took out a spark plug and it was soaked, started the truck and it spat out all the fluid out of the spark plug hole.

GoodysGotaCuda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Liquid doens't compress? Hmm thats a new one.

j/k YEA you absolutely will hydro-lock an engine if you put too much of a liquid in a running engine. There is no "DANGER", it's more common sense. If you aren't "educated" enough to use it through the vacuum source, then you need to just run it through the fuel and stay out from under the hood.

..sorry, just my 2cents. It's kinda like if i said "flying is dangerous! i tried to fly a 747 and crashed." Yea, it's dangerous if you don't know what the hell you're doing lol

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
I use water. Cheaper, no damage, and does a better job.:)shady
water will cause a hydrolocked situation the same as seafoam if added too fast...:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals