• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seafoam Danger!

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whenever I Seafoam (yes, I'm using it as a verb... It's so good it deserves it) I can barely suck up any without the engine almost dying... I've never done it on anything OBDII though, if that would even make a difference...

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i use a squirt bottle to atommize it in a way just a bit at a time the engine still wants to run rough while you do it so only a couple squirts then wait then some more

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
I've used it plenty of times and just read the F'ing can first. Those "mechanics", and I use the word VERY loosely, are just plain idiots is all.

slycer2002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I've been reading this thread with great, ahem, amusement, but I have to ask. What is this Seafoam intake cleaner you're talking about? I've never heard of it. Sorry to sound like a newb, but I've been an RBV owner for fifteen years, and have never heard of this. Oh, my poor, neglected engine!!!:bawling:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I've been reading this thread with great, ahem, amusement, but I have to ask. What is this Seafoam intake cleaner you're talking about? I've never heard of it. Sorry to sound like a newb, but I've been an RBV owner for fifteen years, and have never heard of this. Oh, my poor, neglected engine!!!:bawling:
It's just a cure-all-in-a-can you can find at probably all part stores.

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do make sure to be ready to change your oil and maybe spark plugs. I know my oil is definitely brown now after the Seafoam, and the truck is now running like shit, probably the spark plugs fouled up from the Seafoam. This isn't something I was warned about. Not even 1,000 miles and spending $25 on oil and plugs again already. Bah, at least it's clean.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Do make sure to be ready to change your oil and maybe spark plugs. I know my oil is definitely brown now after the Seafoam, and the truck is now running like shit, probably the spark plugs fouled up from the Seafoam. This isn't something I was warned about. Not even 1,000 miles and spending $25 on oil and plugs again already. Bah, at least it's clean.
i have never heard of it ruining plugs and oil , my buddy uses it religously in his prelude , and he does his oil changes ever 5k miles , and he has not changed the plugs in it since he bought it , and as i said , he uses seafoam religously , he will never use anything else

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have never heard of it ruining plugs and oil , my buddy uses it religously in his prelude , and he does his oil changes ever 5k miles , and he has not changed the plugs in it since he bought it , and as i said , he uses seafoam religously , he will never use anything else
well, these two posts are from my thread (on page 2) 'weird tach behavior after sea foam':

mtnrgr said:
'The oil and plugs NEED to be changed with 800 miles of sea foaming your engine. Sea Foam fouls plugs and all that carbon that is broken down is inside the oil.

If you only changed the plugs and oil before the sea foam job. You gotta do it again.'
fixizin said:
Oh yeah, what mtn said: do NOT run that batch of crankcase oil too long after SeaFoam, or ANY fuel injector cleaner, etc... it breaks down oil. i.e. figure you run out the tank of gas you poured it in, and then ONE more tank AT MOST, then change... read the label... there's a warning to that effect on there... in REAL TINY print...'
It makes sense, my oil is now thick and dark and before the sea foam it looked as light and slick as the day it was put in there.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

DanVB1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would always do this type of cleaning immediately before an oil change. Some gunk may break loose and find its way into the oil.
Again, my warning is that a large slug of liquid can be drawn into an engine so quickly, that you don't have any time to react.
Be careful!

jasonl

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.25"
Still not as cheap as water, plus, it's still a petroleum product and will leave residue when burned.:)shady
I can see water cleaning piston tops nice because of the steam, but it wouldn't do so much for intake valves. I guess that is where an in tank cleaner would work good. How do you do the water method?? Just like seafoam etc??

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would always do this type of cleaning immediately before an oil change. Some gunk may break loose and find its way into the oil.
Again, my warning is that a large slug of liquid can be drawn into an engine so quickly, that you don't have any time to react.
Be careful!
Well, I think if Seafoam would make a large chunk of sludge fall off and clog up your oiling system it was probably pretty close to doing it already... Or are you talking about hydro locking the engine? Before I really knew what I was doing (16 years old) I put Seafoam in my 2.3 Ranger through the brake booster vacuum line and actually had the entire line in the cup of Seafoam and all it did was sputter real bad... I might have been lucky, and I wouldn't advise it, because I'm sure it could happen, I think most people just think the internal combustion engine is alot more finicky and delicate than it really is... That's my .02... Of course now I slowly put in Seafoam, making sure it passes through the air before it even reaches the vacuum line (helps atomize it before it even gets to the intake manifold)...

z3ro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I've seafoamed 2 vehicles, my 02 b3k and my 94 honda accord. I've never ever had problems with the stuff.

What i use is a chalk dust refill bottle. I unscrew the top and fill the bottle full, then put the top back on. Then i just let the vacuum line suck in right from the nipple. Works perfect every time!

And it will foul your plugs. Makes em burn super hot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals