• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SCT tuner for 5.0 mountaineer computer

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 03 5.0 ranger is running using an early 97 Mercury mountaineer computer. Pretty much the same as the early 97 explorer computer. I would post somewhere else if I knew where to go but my questions are:
1. Which SCT tuner should a buy to use on this setup
2. If I buy a used one that's unmarried how could I get tunes for my computer or make it work because I can get a good deal on a SCT x3 but it was used on a mustang

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I may be wrong, but I don't think the default SCT tunes are as "custom" as suggested.

Pretty sure SCT simply uses a fixed set of algorithms to adjust the OEM binary.

So, ANY unmarried SCT Ford tuner will happily tweak your PCM. As long as the SCTis rated for your generation PCM, it'll do the job.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. That's part of what I wanted to know because I mostly want to delete and turn some stuff off. I know it won't have any custom tunes specifically for my computer/engine but I guess I could email SCT and get one made?

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I bought an unmarried sct #3000 that sct says is compatible with my vehicle with 4 unlocks left and it doesn't give me the option to change anything, gotta have a custom tune....I felt like smashing it at first for waiting so long to do nothing.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
If your interested, I bought an SCT X4 and used Greg at Speedy Dyno to write my custom tunes. He came recommended through others on this forum and did a very good job for me. He was able to get past PATS, eliminate all my codes, turn off specific functions no longer needed, and dial in my fuel economy and performance. Easy to deal with and all through e-mail.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I already got around PATS using the early 97 computer and the way I did my wiring harness but I do want some other stuff deleted as well as getting a custom 93 octane tune. How much did he charge for a tune and how would I get ahold of him?

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks. I already got around PATS using the early 97 computer and the way I did my wiring harness but I do want some other stuff deleted as well as getting a custom 93 octane tune. How much did he charge for a tune and how would I get ahold of him?
I don't have his number handy but if you google Speedy Dyno, Owensboro Kentucky you should be able to find a phone number. Seems like I got it off a you tube video that had a banner in the back ground with the phone number. I am not sure what he charges, seems like it was around $90.00 for three tunes. He gave me a discount because I bought the Tuner through him. I think Greg has a 5.0 Explorer and knows the tuning very well. He did mine all through e-mail and really got it to perform well once I pulled the data for him to look at. To be honest right from the first tune he had it right in the ball park.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds good. Thanks for the help man, I'll give it a search and try and get this going.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals