• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Screwy Oil Pressure Gauge

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
My 93 Ranger's oil pressure gauge registers slightly above half most of the time. It goes through phases where it reads slightly below half for a few weeks then goes back to its usual spot. Tell you the truth, I don't understand how it ever registers actual oil pressure because it never fluctuates in any case. I know its not an actual pressure problem so what is causing this variation between below and above half? Either way, its always steady. I'm half tempted to put an aftermarket gauge in it. Thanks all!! Josh
________
CHRYSLER LA ENGINE

Last edited:

wanebell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Josh

First off, your gage isn't registering actual oil pressure. It's not designed to do that. Your gage is connected to an electrical pressure switch installed in an oil gallery on the back of your engine. This switch closes when there is 8 psi or more of oil pressure in the gallery. When this switch closes, system voltage is passed through the gage winding and a series resistor to ground via the switch. Basicly, your oil pressure gage, (and all of your gages for that matter), is just a rudimentry voltmeter. How far the gage needle deflects depends on how much voltage passes through the winding. The amount of voltage depends on the resistance of the circuit and the supplied voltage. Both of these can vary depending on the weather, the condition of the circuit joints, the condition of the battery, heck, even the phase of the moon. Bottom line? If your stock gage needle moves off of the "L" mark be happy, that's the best you can do.

Now, if you really care about how much oil pressure your engine actually has, then by all means, install a good quality after market gage. It's the only way to get a true reading.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Could be a sender problem as well, the sender is located on drivers side of the engine just above the oil pan near the power steering pump. The small connector is also prone to corroding and making the gauge bounce around. I'd still put a mechanical gauge in so you know what the actual oil pressure is.

Joshs93four-oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/245CID
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info, everyone. I think that I am going to put an aftermarket oil gauge in it. Thanks again! Josh
________
Health store

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals