• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Scopin' things out

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What do you want to look for in a good bang-for-buck 3x9 scope to go on a 30-06?

Are the ballistic recticles worth it?

mn_smokeater

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.4L V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Off top of my head any of the big names will work, my Bushnell 3x9 that came with my Remington 710 30.06 has taken plenty of deer and gotten me hits on man sized targets a 300 yards easy.

Going to a Mil system opens a whole can o worms. You can have a mildot with Mil/Mil or Mil/MOA then there is TMR reticule and the Horus Vision System.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
good glass would be the first thing i'd look for. but it depends on what you want to use it for. ballistic plex doesnt matter if you're only gonna shoot 100 yards or less. with a .30-06, if you're zeroed for 100 yards, you can easily achieve hits a 200 and 300 yards with making any adjustments. zero the gun to shoot 2" high at 100 yards, you'll be right on at 200 and pretty damn close at 300.

my uncle has a leupold VX-I or II on his .30-06 and i swear he hasnt had to zero it in 10 years. it always shoots dead on, 2" high at 100 yards.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have flip-flopped around from the VX-1 to the Burris WideviewII to the Redfield Revolution. I really like the rangefinder Accu-Range recticle they have.

I am wanting to go antelope and whitetail deer hunting. After the deer have ran the gauntlet of archery and regular gun seasons I have more 100yd shots at sasquatch than I do at deer when late doe season rolls around mid January. They are really jumpy and it is hard to sneak around in snowcovered cornfields.

Last edited:

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Check out Nikon!

I have two Leupold Vari X-II's. The one a 3-9 on my custom 270 dates to 1968. It still drives tacks and has never needed adjustment. The other is a 2-7 on my 30.06 and it dates to 1998. Both are Duplex reticles. Had to adjust it once I think due to a loose mount. Should have used locktite.

On my second 270, a 700 SPS, I have a Nikon, with I think what they call a Nikoplex reticle. This scope is very clear and a steal at around $200. You can go up the scale in the Nikon system like you can with Leopold paying a lot more money, but I am not sure why.

I would recommend you look at Nikon.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
x2 on nikon, they have some good stuff from what i've heard. i plan on throwing one of their M-223's on my AR when i finish building it. they also just came out with a M-308, but i just put a new scope on my .308, so i'm not getting one for right now. the 223's and 308's are calibrated for that specific round. you would think someone would make a scope calibrated for the 06 round due it's enormous popularity.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would recommend you look at Nikon.
I showed my dad the rifle at Cabelas before I was ready to get it, he thought it was neat and got one with a Nikon scope. So the only difference between the two will be the scope and the writing on the barrel. It would be nice to have different scopes on them so we don't mix them up (.270 vs 30-06 could be bad)

Kinda trying to stay with a USA scope to go with my made in USA rifle as well.

x2 on nikon, they have some good stuff from what i've heard. i plan on throwing one of their M-223's on my AR when i finish building it. they also just came out with a M-308, but i just put a new scope on my .308, so i'm not getting one for right now. the 223's and 308's are calibrated for that specific round. you would think someone would make a scope calibrated for the 06 round due it's enormous popularity.
Don't AR's have a goofy eye relief compared to a normal bolt action? Once in awhile on youtube watching people talk about their scopes someone has one of the scopes I am looking at on an AR and they complain that they can't hardly get it far enough ahead to see out of it.

The new Redfield Revolution's are made by Leupold at the Oregon Leupold factory and carry the same forever warrenty.

http://redfield.com/riflescopes/

Can't really find bad reviews on any of the ones I have looked at which doesn't help much...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
eye relief would depend on the scope, not the rifle. most scopes are different. I had to be wayyyy too close to see through my mueller when it was on my 700P .308. I had 2 buddies that got scope eyed b/c of it. i have a super sniper 10x on it now and it's much better. around 3-3.5 inches instead of 1.5-2

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Redfield's have always been good scopes.. I love my wide angle one.. it's oval instead of round.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
eye relief would depend on the scope, not the rifle. most scopes are different. I had to be wayyyy too close to see through my mueller when it was on my 700P .308. I had 2 buddies that got scope eyed b/c of it. i have a super sniper 10x on it now and it's much better. around 3-3.5 inches instead of 1.5-2
Different rifles would need different reliefs too or else all scopes would have the same eye relief. An AR wouldn't have the recoil of a bolt gun in its normal chamberings. Just a theory why that one scope is only set up for the most common AR chamberings (.223/.308)

A wideangle would be neat but they are all but extinct.

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Mueller APVs and APTs are very nice for the money, a bit more magnification though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mueller APVs and APTs are very nice for the money, a bit more magnification though.
They are interesting, Wal-Mart's website (the only place that really talks about them) says they are imported though.

Not much at all out there about them, I might have to test one out on my muzzleloader though :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals