• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

School me on portable air compressors

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
I'm moving from an apt to a house, but the house doesn't have a garage. I'll have a decent sized shed for storing tools, etc. I've started looking at portable air compressors, but I'm really not familiar with them.

What do I need to know?

What brands are better than others?

Is tank capacity the #1 consideration, or should I be more focused on duty cycle?

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
How big do you want and what kind of tools are you going to use?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Air tools mostly, might end up needing it inside every now and then as well for a nailer or something

Size isnt a consideration as long as it's portable. I'm comfortable getting a 20-30 gallon tank if it's worth it

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
For a super handy and easily toteable small compressor I like the small oil-less compressors with small tanks that are used with pneumatic nailers and such. To small for high air volume tools but great for light duty uses.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
What you need to look at is SCFM of the air tool vs. the compressor.

I have this compressor: http://www.sears.com/33-gallon-quiet-vertical-air-compressor-165psi/p-00916572000P

SCFM Delivery:
SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 6.8
SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 5.1

Impacts run at 90 or more so I can run a gun like this without a problem. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200342894_200342894

This gun uses an average of 4.8 SCFM. In an ideal world, if the compressor can put out more SCFM than the tool uses, you can use the tool non-stop. When you go over what the compressor can actually produce, you then begin to wait to build up pressure to run the tools.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
That's the reason I asked which tools because some make a big difference. When I first started looking at compressors I wanted the craftsman 33 gallon. Then I thought about their 20 gal.

I ended up going with am oiled Husky 8 gal from home depot. I really just wanted to use an impact and it does that just fine. Impacts do use a lot of air, but you don't use it constantly. Even with 8 gallons I can take off two wheels before the compressor cycles. Because it's only 8 gallons though it only takes about 30 seconds to get back to 125 psi.

I would not try to use a rotary tool, or sander, or anything that uses a constant supply of air. Even the 33 gallon sears one won't do it. You need a serious compressor for those tools, like 60 gallons and 10scfm or more.

With that said I'm happy with mine, I just wanted it to air up tires and stuff, light use of an impact, and an air nailer. It does all of those great for me. It's not for everyone but I can easily move it around, it takes oil which is a plus to me, and it was only like $130.

JFortner5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L FFV
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah and to add to what the guy above said; if the compressor exceeds the rating of the tool you won't run out of air, but unless you have a compressor with a 100% duty cycle it will burn up pretty quick.

The oil less ones have no lubrication, just a piston with a Teflon ring. The oiled ones have a more auto style piston with metal rings. Most all under $400 are direct drive compressors where the motor and pump are one piece. They are all loud regardless of oiled or oil free.

The quiet(er) ones are belt driven, separate motor and pump, and typically are in the $400+ range. Of course then they aren't as portable or even stationary.

Last edited:

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Thanks - all good advice.

Mostly I'll be looking to run air tools - impact, ratchet, cutoff. Not going to be sanding much, but maybe a smaller grinder than my angle grinder.

Any downside, other than portability, to going with the largest possible tank?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
No downside to a bigger tank other than what you stated. You can connect multiple smaller tanks if you have a smaller compressor, portable storage tank, etc. Grinders/cutoffs pull a lot of volume as well, as stated, check the cfm. A bigger storage tank will help with a smaller compressor, but once air is depleted it'll take longer to fill. How long you run the cutoff would determine what size compressor I would get (the actual compressor, not the tank size)...

SVT

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
any particular brands to avoid? I'm skeptical of the HD/lowes house brands, but not for any real good reason

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'd look for the one that has the better warranty for the price, then choose the biggest cfm you can afford...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals