• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

school me on chains

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
(I in my stupidity like to go out and drive when there is alot of snow and I have never owned chains). Oh and it's always a good idea to have a shovel handy when you drive in alot of snow.
x2, i LOVE to go out driving while its snowing.:headbang:

i think chains are illegal up here, i cant remember, but learning to winter drive with a 2wd v-8 f150 with only a fiberglass cap on back, and 1/2 tread bfg a/t's, i learned pedal control real fast lol.

maroon ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 4.0L proje
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Always go with the chains in front!!!!! The wieght of the engine helps dig in the snow and ice and gives better braking and steering!!!! Living in Montana chains are a must during the last half or so of hunting season, haha, and also during the winter when dickin around in the mountains lookin for a good set up for a ski jump. But I would prefer chains on all fours if you are in a worst case sinereio (if thats how to spell it)!!! Chains on the front cinched tight does the job very well! If the back slides out more than you are comfrotable with while having chains on the front than put all fours on!!!! Sorry for the essay but I see to many people get stuck every year because they put chains on the back and have four wheel drive!!! Hope this helps ya and let us know your learnings after your experience!!!!

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Always go with the chains in front!!!!! The wieght of the engine helps dig in the snow and ice and gives better braking and steering!!!! Living in Montana chains are a must during the last half or so of hunting season, haha, and also during the winter when dickin around in the mountains lookin for a good set up for a ski jump. But I would prefer chains on all fours if you are in a worst case sinereio (if thats how to spell it)!!! Chains on the front cinched tight does the job very well! If the back slides out more than you are comfrotable with while having chains on the front than put all fours on!!!! Sorry for the essay but I see to many people get stuck every year because they put chains on the back and have four wheel drive!!! Hope this helps ya and let us know your learnings after your experience!!!!
I think a good deal of the problem of people getting stuck with 4x4s even with chains on the back is because a lot of people don't know how to properly drive a 4x4. I've always been amazed at the number of people with 4x4s and lifted 4x4s that end up stuck off the side of the road during winter while I putter past in my 2wd Ranger.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
MAKG,

I noticed that in my recent trip up to tahoe that the signs say that chains must be carried in all vehicles. My truck is 4wd with a good set of snow tires and if conditions warrented chains I sure as hell wont be driving. Do you know what the ticket would cost me if I was "caught" without chains? BTW I think this law is stupid for trucks/suvs with 4wd and SNOW tires. I understand that the people with the SUVs with 22 in rims and summer tires should have chains, but I think its rediculous for the rest of us to have to carry chains.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no ticket. You get turned around at the checkpoint.

The cost of NOT doing that is killing yourself and possibly others. Conditions are not constant for the entire two hour crossing on I-80; they can worsen SUBSTANTIALLY after you pass the checkpoint, sometimes without warning. If you fishtail in 4WD, your options are to put chains on, drive with poor control, or get stranded 50 miles from the nearest help in severe weather. This is a life threatening situation even if your vehicle is not moving.

The usual counterexample is the day-trip skiing. You can go up in the morning on clear highways (say, to Kirkwood or Bear Valley) and have a nasty storm move in a few hours later. Now, you're stuck on top of the mountain with no chains. And locals will give you a good thrashing if you block the only highway into their area because you didn't plan ahead.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
life threatening...pfft.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For some idea about what getting stranded in that particular spot means, look up the Donner Party. That's EXACTLY where they got stuck. In October. With well over 20 foot accumulation before they started self-snacking.

Snowfall of several feet in the Sierra is possible in a single storm. If it's that bad, the snowplows simply will not be able to keep up with it. It's VERY possible to get buried and not be found until the storm is over, or even much later, or to get hit by a snowplow because you're invisible. While it's true that Stage 2 emergencies are rare (often, the highway is closed just a tiny bit later), you can get in a lot of trouble in worsening weather.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i wasnt doubting you mike...i just never got the chance to use that pic until now :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals