• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

school me on air rifles

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
AHHH. A fancy bike pump like we had 50 yrs ago then. Looks tiresome, but, way cheaper than the actual compressors / tanks. Thank you.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
:)

The "Center-Point" scopes are made by Crosman at a low price point and are supposed to be rated well last I heard, not super great but good enough... pretty much everyone's go to is the UTG Bug Buster scopes but they are above my pay grade for as many toys as I have...

The maximus is fine accuracy wise, I don't shoot targets unless they are feathered or fuzzy mostly or just screwing around... I get bored shooting paper too easy...

Pretty much every PCP is hand pump friendly, it's just how much effort you want to put into it, my first PCP was the .22 Marauder that was "refurbished" with a refurbished Benjamin hand pump, took a bit to pump up but was doable, that's part of why I got it tuned to where it ended up, 60 shots at like 850fps with crosman hollow point pellets. The maximus being a 2000psi fill pressure with a lower volume is obviously easier to pump up... the Avenger is like 4300psi fill pressure and I've hand pumped that a few times...

I have no idea on the recoil part, but my engineering mind says it'll likely be similar if the muzzle energy is similar with the whole equal and opposite force deal :)
Man, even the center-point is as much as the UTG scope.

I read a review of a 40-50 dollar scope that the guy had great luck with.. after 850rds it still held zero.. all sold out from what I can tell though.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I would check the gatewaytoairguns forum and check in the optics area, there's bound to be a good budget springer rated scope out there, but most things are likely unobtainium right now...

On the hand pump, apparently if you're a smaller person under like 170lb the hand pump is a real hassle (IE body weight barely pushes it down), I don't have that problem but yeah, it's not fun for a bunch of target shooting... workable for a plinker or hunter/pester

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Not raining today, finished off my tin of ruger super points.

10 additional clicks actually seems to have got the rifle pretty darn close to where it needs to be lol. Must be about 1/4 through its adjustability..

Still get smoke out of the breech after every round so clearly needs more than 200 shots to clean itself up.

Went down to the local surplus/salvage store and snagged 2 tins of 14ish grain gamo rocket pellets for 4.40 a piece 👍 hopefully get to shoot some more Sunday.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Alright, must of been able to shoot 30-40 pellets before it started raining, again -__-

20220416_114630.jpg

These new pellets fit in the bore WAY tighter than the superpoints did.. super snug. Almost thought something was wrong when I went to put the first one in.

They seem to group better than the superpoints.. but.. all my shots were about an inch or so LEFT now.. 🤦‍♀️ mabey a bit high as well.

I have read that when it comes down to it... superpoints really aren't that great of a pellet. They're good for mindlessly throwing them down range but there are much better options out there. Perhaps because they fit so loosely? It's not like one would of fallen out of the breech if held upside down or anything.. but there's definitely a meaningful difference in diameter between them and these gamos.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Every barrel likes a different pellet too for whatever reason, there's people obsessed with finding the right one... Gamo pellets are kinda all over the board for consistency between types, myself I try to stick to what's consistently easy to find so I chose Crosman Premier Hollow Points in .22 and Crosman pointed in .177. Back in the day it was like $5 a tin of the CPHP in .22 and walmart had deals on milk cartons of 1250 of the pointeds for like $10...

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I looked at all these a lot and I think if a person can afford it, the FX Impact M3 is probably the most accurate of the rifles. From what I've seen, up to some limited distance I'd say it's as accurate as any varmint gun.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
update
went with a Benjamin Marauder 2264 in .22
Sight Mark night vision.
the varmint population is waaayyyyy down.:icon_thumby:

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Get a crossbow.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
update
went with a Benjamin Marauder 2264 in .22
Sight Mark night vision.
the varmint population is waaayyyyy down.:icon_thumby:
Nice, I've liked mine, my .25 Marauder leaks so I probably need a new exhaust valve, need to work up a parts list for Crosman... gotta remember where I was with a few things...

Might be dumb question but is it stock or have you screwed with it? It's easy to screw with the transfer port and hammer spring, and taking out the "lawyer spring" on the trigger is a good place to be, then I think the "Bstaley mod" of putting a few O rings behind the valve as a buffer for the hammer is still a thing on the newer ones but don't remember... Then theres the cheap way of getting a bit of the "twang" of the shot out, some people put chunks of melamine foam (magic eraser) in the compression tube to act as a buffer... That's all I can remember of the low buck mods that I did to my old gen 1 .22 Marauder and I know I did a couple of them to the .25...

BroncLander, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the .50 cal airguns, they make arrows for them... I like crossbows and such but not much incentive yet, not legal to hunt game with airguns or crossbow in Oregon...

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Excellent! A thread with an ending!

My Benjamin Nitro needed a new trigger group. I didn’t realize it until I installed it, but it made it much easier to shoot. I forget what manufacturer it was.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Nice, I've liked mine, my .25 Marauder leaks so I probably need a new exhaust valve, need to work up a parts list for Crosman... gotta remember where I was with a few things...

Might be dumb question but is it stock or have you screwed with it? It's easy to screw with the transfer port and hammer spring, and taking out the "lawyer spring" on the trigger is a good place to be, then I think the "Bstaley mod" of putting a few O rings behind the valve as a buffer for the hammer is still a thing on the newer ones but don't remember... Then theres the cheap way of getting a bit of the "twang" of the shot out, some people put chunks of melamine foam (magic eraser) in the compression tube to act as a buffer... That's all I can remember of the low buck mods that I did to my old gen 1 .22 Marauder and I know I did a couple of them to the .25...

BroncLander, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the .50 cal airguns, they make arrows for them... I like crossbows and such but not much incentive yet, not legal to hunt game with airguns or crossbow in Oregon...
still in original condition, it does what I want.
being in the city having too much power can be a bad thing.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Get a crossbow.

I have a few extra leaf springs, maybe I could cobble together something that launches harpoons. :shok:

for my situation a crossbow makes too much noise when it hits the backstop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals