• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sbc 350 broken/bad camshaft

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm a big power guy (don't let the fact that i drive a 2.3 fool you), so I'd definitely take the chance on the forged motor. 420 crank hp isn't even close to the ceiling on that setup. Heads would be worth the 500 themselves

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Before you use it, please strip it down and send the block to a machine shop to have it boiled out, buy a new oil pump and pickup, and clean everything like it had the virus. My son had a Crane cam lose a lobe shortly after he built it and ended up with scored cylinders, a junk crank and bearings. You shouldn't necessarily have to run diesel oil but a zddp additive is cheap insurance. The break in process with a new flat tappet cam is critical, after starting bring it up to 1500-2000 rpms and run it 20 minutes,varying the rpms constantly, then change the oil and filter- making sure to add more zddp. One of my former techs always plays with GM's, he built a SBC for his Camaro, did the break in but didn't change the oil. That meant the metal particles shed during break in were still in the oil. He sold the car shortly after and the new owner came back complaining that the cam had failed within 2 months. Do it right or do it over- and pay twice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals