• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Saved a '94 from the junkyard...

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since I have posted, but back in December I came across a 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 at a tow yard auction completely by chance and decided to bid on it. I got it for $250.

Obviously it was really rough, but most of the remaining ones here are rough anyway, and this one is 4WD which is hard to find here. The belt tensioner bearing had fallen apart and the pulley came off, which is what I think was the final straw that led to it being abandoned, but it had a lot of issues going on. All four tires were bald, brakes were trashed all around (both front rotors were cracked), the radiator was leaking bad, and it was making some crazy noises from the front end. Turns out the radius arm brackets were both loose and the radius arms were basically sawing through them. All that has been replaced now and it's driving good. The 4.0L runs strong, the A4LD shifts perfect, and the 4WD works.

The best part though...NO rust at all, anywhere. None. The dog legs, rockers, and all the rest of the metal are perfect throughout. It was originally sold in a suburb of Chicago, but apparently made its way south quickly or was never driven in salt.

Next on the list is a trans filter and gasket since it's leaking a little around the pan, put a radio in, and get all of the power windows working. It needs some other odds and ends too, but I'm very happy with the progress so far. It's probably going to stay stock for now...I think it'll be a good general purpose beater. It's nice having an Explorer again, it has been 10 years since I had to let my rotted out '95 Sport go.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nice save. No rust is very rare up here.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. Even down here a lot of 4x4s are rusty because they came from somewhere else or mud never got cleaned off. This one has definitely spent most of its life on salt free paved roads. Crazy to think my '95 was a year newer and met its end a decade ago because the body was just falling off of it (came from Pittsburgh).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals