• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS steering questions

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Today I crawled under my donor truck, a 78 full size Bronco.

The P.O. put a 6" lift kit on it. When talking to him, he began to ramble about how only one side of the powersteering works and there was a problem with the pitman arm because it was stock.

It got me thinking about how I'll be running my steering when the Bronco axles are in.

I'm planning on having the box mounted inside the frame, so I don't think the stock bronco box would work. What about yotas? I've read that Yota IFS boxes bolt right up to the ranger shafts. Drop pitman arm and good to go?

Point me in the right direction

Thanks,
Adam

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i would think that mounting the box out side the frame would help reduce bump steer. what other factors made you decide on putting the box inside?

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a full width D44 and i am using my stock Gear box for my 87 B2. i have the 4-6" drop pitman. i used the steering arm from an explorer and retained the stock arm between the two tires. I do not seem to have any problems driving up to 55 mph (36" Irok Bias tires and 11" of lift total) anything over 55 is just stupid with my truck. No need to go any faster. But my gear box is pretty loose. Guess i had to many times runing it with water in it instead of PS fluid lol.

But make sure your trac bar shares as close to the same angle as the tie rod arm. Seems to handle alot better when they are close to the same angle.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
space is tight on the inside of the frame, go with a yota or scout 2 box outside the frame.

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
id say keep your stock ranger box never put yota crap on a ford!

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'm plannin on runnin on the outside.

Yeah, and rack and pinion steering doesnt work too well for a solid axle suspension..... '

Thanks guys

badkarma

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i would think that mounting the box out side the frame would help reduce bump steer. what other factors made you decide on putting the box inside?
Why?
On 97 and older Rangers box is inside as with most older Fords.

Yeah, and rack and pinion steering doesnt work too well for a solid axle suspension..... '
That's the setup we have on my buddys mud race truck. Not a lot of suspension travel needed tho.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Why?
On 97 and older Rangers box is inside as with most older Fords.

it means that you can have a longer panhard bar which means less lateral movement as the suspension compresses, and it means that (depending on exactly how you design it) you can have a longer drag link and it should be easier to make it match the angle of the panhard.

Last edited:

badkarma

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I mounted mine back on the inside (3 different Rangers)and have no bump steer,although I am running full width.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
What about yotas? I've read that Yota IFS boxes bolt right up to the ranger shafts. Drop pitman arm and good to go?

Point me in the right direction

Thanks,
Adam
Well, to answer some of this for you. The Yota IFS box will work, kindof, with the ranger shaft. If you're talking about the splines on the ranger shaft being the same as the shaft of the yota box, with one exception. The yota shaft (on the box) is completely round with splines all the way around. The Ranger shaft has a flat spot on the box, which means you will have to take a die grinder to the inside of the steering shaft coupler, and round out the flat spot. This leaves you with 1/3 of the coupler unsplined, and could result in slippage. the other option would be to grind a flat spot on the yota shaft. The pump and box (assuming you're talking power) will work together quite well, you just need to adapt the pressure line from the ford pump to the yota box. But, after overcoming these obstacles, you have a box that works great, but has the pitman arm pointing backwards instead of forwards like you need it, and if you flip the pitman arm around you would be steering backwards.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up going with the box from my donor truck. A 78 Bronco. Arm on the outside, but I can use it with my pump and I still have the steering shaft from the Bronco. I can adapt that for use with my current set up to keep the steering column tilt etc.

I'm usin the stock bronco buckets and shock mounts, and the driverside shock mount doubles as a track bar mount. I'll be using that too. The angles should be the same in the end

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Mutant Pony has Rack & pinion steering and a straight axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals