• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS Spring Selection Info Wanted

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of discussion regarding spring selection for SAS and what variables to consider(super cab, EX, BroncoII, engine size, winch bumper, axle, etc...).

I would like to compile the info into a STICKY or maybe get added to the tech library if possible. I've looked through the posts here and through many others, but I'm still not close on figuring this one out.:icon_confused:

The info I would like to gather is spring rates, compressed/uncompressed lengths, how much each spring actually lifts each rig, compression/extension, and any other info that can help.

I'm lost on this subject. I have a D44/Ford 9 swap on my regular cab 1990 Ranger with a 4.0L heart transplant. I am currently using leftover TTB 4 inch Superlift coil springs that are way too stiff and refuse to flex. I know a lot of people have used stock EB, superflex EB, DEAVER, or YJ springs. I would like to keep the same amount of lift(or maybe gain an inch or 2). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for all you help.:icon_thumby:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to resurrect this cause I'm going to be doing a d60 14b swap soon as and want to know what leaf springs people have used. Currently I have a 3" lift and have no clue what to use. I've seen ford, chevy, and even jeep leaf springs used. So what can y'all contribute?

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
waggy's seem to be the spring of choice. however we used explorer rear leafs in the front and rear of a broncoll and have had pretty good results. it will flex, doesnt sway all over the road (like mine) and doesnt require a kidney belt to drive either. think ride quality in that rig are about as good as its gonna get with a sas and leaf springs.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've run across a lot of posts with waggy leafs and I figured they would be too soft. However if thats what seems to work best....

I was thinking 63" since I have them out back already, I was just worried that it would ride like it had solid mounts. Explorer leafs sound like a reasonable choice to use, stiff enough on the road but still have decent flex.

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
might have a hard time fitting 63's under the front. as for ride or flex i have no experience with waggy's just the exp springs. scored a 691 on a 30deg ramp do i think it's pretty respectable

rear's were still on the ground

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damn that does look good. Well now that I have that part figured out I can keep my eye's open for a set. Thanks for the info

kroussinoffroad

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
these springs came off a postal vehicle that had a rusted out shackle and when the new shackles came in for it they also came with new springs and the works. so these arent squated out at all. might see a little less height out of more used one's. it will clear 37's as you see it in those pics. (pictured with 35's)

ltuck808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
toyota rear springs is what all the toyota guys run up front on there sas's. the center pin is offset so it pushes your axle forward for better forward aproach, 1st and 2ng gen toyota rears push it about 2 inch and the 3rd gen rears do about 3.5. thats on toyotas of course. i just did my b2 this last week. took me 2 days and i pieced everything together for 450 and my axles were 400. so 850 all together.

ltuck808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the toyota rears were only 50 bucks too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals