• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS or Superlift

Jonsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Okay guys I got a 2006 Ford Ranger Sport, 4bi with a 3 inch body lift and I want to put 35"s under it. Best bet would be to do? Would I be able to fit 35"s if I put Superlift's 4" lift in my truck with the body or would it be best to SAS the truck. I can afford both and do both easily as my buddy has a shop and a dana 30 lying around. The truck would be my daily driver and would use it for some minor offroading, nothing serious. Whats my best option? Any positive input would be appreciated. P.S. I know I am going to have to re gear and get a different drive shaft etc, I know my way around both options I'm just looking for some opinions on the better.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the way i see it... IFS sucks. TTB is alright... since yours is not ttb but true ifs..

sas it and be done... the ifs can only flex so much and the lifts are godly expensive. and if you push it hard on the rocks on 35's... ifs sucks. for a dd and light off road you could get by w/ a superlift kit.

price it out both ways.. see what used stuff you can find.
also think of your END goal for your truck and build it now. don't waste money on the ifs lift if you know you want sas'ed in the end. pros and cons of both, write them down. how fast do you have to get your truck back on the road? a ifs lift will be faster.. how much fab skills do you have? ifs kit is almost bolt up, sas is NOT...

if i was in your situation w/ a newer ranger like that, i'd sas it now and be done. that way all future mods are completed. no point in doing an ifs lift now thats $2k or whatever.. and then still wanting something stronger w/ better flex later.... that's my opinion

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I am currently in the process of an sas and I agree with 4.0B2. This had better not be your dd because it will be a very long process. I think I have spent more time researching and reengineering than working on the truck. It has been almost a year for me. And I am in about $6k.

Jonsmith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well My buddy know's his way around doing this stuff, hes done them many times. The only thing about the SAS is my year has no steering box it just comes out both sides and doesn't move with the suspension. So he said it would be alot harder.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Yup, all that has to be cut out and replaced with a pitman arm style box. A search of this site and other ranger/offroad forums will get you more information on what is required.

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
Id suggest upgrading to a bigger front axle. The dana 30 isn't gonna do well with 35's 33's are about max for a dana 30.

camodown

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You would have to get a toyota steering box and a dana 30 can handle 35's if you watch what you are doing. Somebody can break any axle if they are stupid and don't know when to stop.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen d30s get beat on with 35's on rocks and 37's in mud and hold up to it. But I've also seen them break with 30's.

Also aftermarket support is there. You can put RCV's in them or other chromo's

clifford97

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well My buddy know's his way around doing this stuff, hes done them many times. The only thing about the SAS is my year has no steering box it just comes out both sides and doesn't move with the suspension. So he said it would be alot harder.
SAS it. get urself a D44 if u want something light duty but can still be abused. find out what gear ratio you will want with the 35's get the sets. if u want to lock it might as well do it now while its out esp if you are going to use an arb or non-automatic locker (more room to work) and as for the steering skre it just go full hydro lmao:icon_rofl:

sig.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals