• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SAS Driveshaft Q's

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm doing a full-width Dana 44/Ford 9 swap off a 78 bronco. These are going under a 91 Explorer Sport with Dana 35 and 8.8 stock.

For now I plan on keeping the stock drive shafts until I get cash to get custom ones made. What does it take to adapt the stock shafts to the new axles???:icon_confused:

I am not extending the wheelbase, I just want solid axles!!! I'm tired of the P.I.T.A. Dana 35. My truck has a 4" Superlift and I'm re using those springs, so the height shouldn't change(I'm using bump stops to avoid hitting the cross member)??? If the height doesn't change neither should the drive shaft length??? I know there may be a slight change since the full size axles may have longer yoke/center sections.

If there's adapters/ parts I can use, can you give me a list so I can look into it? Or if any one has a write-up, a link would help me out.

I've read through the tech library and the forums(unless I'm totally blind and yes it happens A LOT), and haven't found a lot of info on this detail of the SAS, just how to stuff the axles under the truck.

My plan is to ultimately have 4.88 w/ lockers running 35s under the truck.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!!!!

RumpRangerSTX

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u use your front coil springs u will gain about 3in in the front

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if the U joint is the same size between your 91 and my 00, but I used a conversion joint from the front of a 75? F250 high boy front drive shaft. Mated the stock drive shaft to the 9" yoke perfectly. I'm pretty sure the 9" I've got uses a 1330. Yeah, 3.5"ish tit to tit so yeah, a 1330.

As far as my front shaft, i built my own using tube from an 84 TTB bronco shaft and yokes ground out of a 79 SA bronco. The TTB shafts had tons more slip, but bigger u joints then the pre TTB full size broncos. I'm pretty sure i've got 1330s at both ends.

Hope this helps.

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
Rump Ranger, I did a fit check under the frame and it seems that I'm not gaining much height as you are saying. Un sprung height looks huge, but when the truck rests on it, I gain an inch'ish I'd say. Once its all said and done I will double check.

LittleBigFoot, I will have to check out the stuff for the front shaft off the TTB bronco(need to go the u-pull it and see it).

You're right the back was a breeze to mate up. I checked the tech library under "U joints" and found exactly what I needed. My rear shaft may be a little short from what I can tell without having the rear done. I may have to break down and get a new rear shaft anyways.

Thanks guys for all your input. TheRangerStation Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Cool thing is, the diff in the rear is centered. Or mostly centered. So when you articulate it's not gonna need much distance in the slip. Unless youre jumpin it and lettin suspension droop on both sides, i think you'll be fine.

dangeranger01

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Your stock front shaft will work without any adapting. Im not sure about the rear though. I did my SAS with a full width 8.8 in the rear and put a Explorer flange on it to retain the stock shaft. And those superlift springs are gonna be horribly stiff.

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
i'm using my stock front and rear driveshafts on my 95 with a waggy 44 and ford 9 swap. All had the 1310 size joint

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals